Chapter 23 ♦ Set Up ♦

Chapter 23

- Set up -

            I started backing away as Katie dropped her heels into her normal standing position.

I wasn't sure what to do, I was shocked for sure but I couldn't tell if she was lying or not. I don’t know how she would be lying… I mean how would she know I had a sister? Lucky guess maybe? No there’s no way… she couldn’t have been that lucky.

I tried to just laugh it off and turn around to walk away. "That was funny," I added with a flick of my wrist to say goodbye.

"Kaden, I'm serious I can tell you were Nicole is," she said catching up to me.

"Don't say her name" I snapped turning back around. "Please.” I begged her less intense. Now it was official, there was no way this was a prank. She had said her name and she couldn’t have been that lucky. “She’s dead. She died when we were five." I think I was trying to convince myself of this more than her.

"She is not dead, she's my best friend.” Katie said shaking her head. “She used to talk about how she had a brother named Kaden. And you both have the same last name, so I thought it was too convenient. I never thought I would ever find you, especially here of all places." She was serious. As crazy as she sounded she wasn’t kidding.

"You... You’re insane" I said, kicking the gravel beneath my feet. I was about to start walking away again when the voices stopped me.

'Nope you’re insane. How do you live with yourself knowing every single day that you killed your own twin sister? You're sick'

I felt like I had to prove it to them. She was clearly alive, I was just too stubborn to admit it. I turned back to Katie quickly, she must’ve thought I was mad. I was going through so much inner turmoil I felt like I was going to burst. “Where is she?”

"First I have ask you; why did you think she was dead?" she raised an eyebrow at me.

"Because... She ran away... when we were just kids, she left and I never saw her..." I couldn’t look Katie in the eyes while I talked. I couldn’t believe I had forgotten about Nicole.

“Well she is alive and well. You two don’t look much like twins?” This was really starting to freak me out.

“Are you sure you don’t see ghost? Because she died. I remember my mother crying. The police they came to our house and they said they found her body by the river six miles from our house. That was when we moved to Utah to get away from the killer.” I knew I sounded distant. I was trying to remember what had happened that day.

I was combing my brain over and over trying to bring back old memories of the move. But I didn’t remember much, I was. But one stood one detail stood out to me very clear. “No… we moved before she was found dead.” I was now very confused. “What the hell is going on?”

“Kaden… I have no idea… But I have her number if you want it you can call her and ask her,” I nodded thinking that was my best bet at figuring all of this out. I wasn’t sure what I would say when I called her, but I knew I had too. She handed me a small slip of paper

“Well… thanks.” I smiled stuffing it down in my pocket. I was overwhelmed with emotions and I couldn’t decide if I should be happy or what. I didn’t know  

At this point I didn’t care about waiting up for Tyler, or Echo. So I thanked Katie again and I started on my way home. I kind of just wanted to think alone for a little bit.