Chapter 21 ♦ Untitled ♦

Chapter 21

The nurse was right, by third period keeping my eyes open seemed impossible. After I fell asleep in my textbook I got sent to the office, I called Laura to come get me and she talked with the principal explaining what had happened. She didn’t mention it was a suicide attempt she just said that I got in a motorcycle spill and lost a lot of blood.       

   Because she had to come and pick me up on her lunch break I was now stuck at the elementary school where Laura worked as a second grade teacher. I was laying in the nurse’s office waiting to go home, there was a bed in there so I could at least try to sleep.  Just as I suspected with such little effort I was out cold.

           I felt something soft brush my cheek bone walking me up from my slumber. Echo’s huge blue eyes were hovering over mine complimented with a huge grin. Planting a quick peck on my lips she stood up, her smile ceased slightly. “So how are you?”

           “Why did you come down here?” I asked ignoring her question.

"I heard you left early and I am here to... take... care... of you..." she sounded confused and like she didn’t have a clue what she was doing here, "What's the point, I'm going to be a hopeless mother." With that the girl crashed in a heap next to me.

"You'll be an amazing mother," hooking my index finger under her chin I gave her a reassuring kiss on the lips. "But let's save that twist for later shall we?"

"Oh no, I was thinking like now. I really want a baby" Echo laughed sitting up straight hovering over me with puppy dog eyes.

I just laughed shook my head smirking, "Ask Tyler,”

"Oh wow," She burst at my sarcasm, "Maybe I will"

"You let me know how that goes."

She sighed dramatically and crashed her head down on my shoulder. She was sitting on the floor next to the hard uncomfortable excuse for a mattress where I was lying. “How is this rock not killing your back?” She asked punching her fist into the hard mattress.

I just shook my head and laughed. “I slept on the floor for thirteen years of my life, this is nothing.”

Echo just rolled her eyes and then proceeded to flop on top of me.  

"What are you doing?" I croaked.

"Oh, ya' know. Just hangin out, what about you?"

I began coughing and gasping for air as she got comfortable. "Echo, you're squishing my insides"

With narrowed eyes she did not take my joke lightly as she purposely tried to make herself heavier. I coughed again, going completely limp "What have you been eating?" 

"Kaden,” she shouted punch me in the shoulder. “You're so mean"

"How can I ever make it up to you?" I pleaded with her humorlessly.

"I don't know... you're injured. You can't do anything," she blinked sitting up straight.

Placing my hand over my heart as if it was aching I squinted my eye from the unbearable pain. “You have hurt me in ways you can’t imagine.

She groaned at me and squished my cheeks together. "Kiss me."

Pressing my forehead to hers I began teasing her. "I don't know if I can, I mean I'm pretty injured,"

She pouted sticking out her bottom lip slightly with those puppy dog eyes she knew I couldn’t resist. “Please,” she begged oh so innocently.