Chapter Three

Chapter 3

-The return of Echo Minder -

Two, no three days. Three days without food one and a half without liquids. My stomach was making noises I didn’t even know were possible and there were sharp pains, very, very, sharp aches and pains throughout my entire body.The aches of dehydration and hunger. I was weak, I could hardly move around, I wasn’t going to last much longer here. But I knew I couldn't go to town now. It had been almost a weeksince I went missing, word would be around all of the neighboring towns, I wouldn’t be able to stick my toe out in the sun without someone finding me and reporting me.

Part of me didn’t want any help, but then other parts just wanted the suffering to be over. I knew if I didn’t die of an overdose while I was staying here, it would be of dehydration. So I laid down and I closed my eyes. I just rested there and tried to get my tired thoughts together. The days went by agonizingly slow at first, but once the sun began to turn orange they seemed to be over in a blink.

Echo came over the first two days after school, she would bring me water and a small ration of food. But she must have gotten sick and tired of me because she lied about coming back. She promised to come back tomorrow with more water. That was two days ago.

 “Can you blame her? Who would hang around a pathetic girl like you? Grow up kid.”

“She doesn’t like you Kaden, she just feels obligated to keep coming back to you.”

I wanted to scream. I wanted to rip them out of my brain and set them on fire. I wanted so badly to throw a giant fit of rage and rid myself of this negative energy. But I was too weak. I couldn’t even punch my pillow. I sat up on my cot. My anger was fueling the adrenaline in my veins and I found I had some strength. Not much but some. I clenched my hand into a tight fist and took a blow to my head. To my own head. I was beating myself up, how ridiculous?

I was trying to hurt the voices, trying to get them out of skull so they could pester someone else. Taking my other fist I took another blow, I repeated this until I was so tired I couldn’t keep my eyes open and I crashed back down to my pillow. I wasn’t sure the damage I had caused, or if there even was any. I just knew I got what I deserved, I didn’t deserve to be alive and no one cared if I died.

If I hadn’t passed out that night I would have killed myself without second thoughts. No one would have known, and no one would have cared. I would forever being a missing person and my case would quickly turn cold and people would give up looking for me. Just a missing foster boy with no family, dead in a warehouse that no one comes to anymore. What an unfortunate story.

I woke up the next afternoon with no hope of getting up from my cot. Pains in my lower back made me scream and the stabbing in my stomach was enough to draw tears from my eyes. I was going to die today, this was my last sunrise. Echo had forgotten about me and any hopes of being rescued from this pain were too farfetched to even imagine. I was dying, all I could do was wait for my organs to give out and to go in my sleep.

           This day was the worst day, it was the longest, and the most painful. The pain wasn’t something I could sleep through and I was exhausted. My brain felt heavy and it was driving me mad that I couldn’t sleep. My hallucinations were out of control. I felt like a drugged patient in an old psych-ward. My eyes rolled to the back of my head when I finally fell asleep. But I wasn’t out for long until I was ripped back to reality by the discomforts.

           I dreamed about going to heaven with Grandma. She had died six months before my parents were arrested when I was taken away by the state. Her death was the only reason I ever talked to the school counselor. I don’t remember talking to her much, but somehow she found out about the abuse, and then my family was ripped apart and I got my parents locked up.