What Could've Been

Chapter 28- What Could've Been

Queen Chelsea told me and Charlie to stay for a talk after breakfast this morning. My breakfast wasn't as satisfying today as much as yesterday, but it was still amazing! One by one royal relatives leave until Charles, Queen Chelsea, King Randolph, and I are the only ones remaining in the room.

After Charlie and I spent the day at the pool, when we were back at the castle, he went back on lockdown. Even though he didn't have to, he shut himself up in his room after dinner. Charlie didn't want anything to do with his parents or me, and I understood that he needed time alone. Charlie is having a rough time; we both are.

"Now," the queen begins, "we are going to practice dancing today. King Randolph and I are going to teach you some classic and traditional ballroom dancing that you will do at your reception of your wedding. The first dance will be simple slow dancing, but your guests know all the other ballroom dances that they will do with you."

"So we will be dancing a lot of the time?" I ask.

"Yes." Queen Chelsea replies.

I look over at Charlie, who is avoiding his mother. He slumps in his chair and those green eyes stare blankly at his feet underneath the table.

"Charles, sit up, dear. Your posture is absolutely dreadful right now," Queen Chelsea comments. She looks over at him sternly, but he pretends like her voice is mute to his ears. "Charles," Chelsea says with power in her voice, "Charles, listen to me."

King Randolph makes a grunting noise along with a sigh, staring at his uncooperative son. Charles moves and sets his elbows on the table, burying his face in his hands. "Charles, dear, listen. This is important information." Queen Chelsea exclaims.

Charles continues acting like his parents don't exist and he slumps back in his chair again. While his mother keeps on nagging and trying to get him to listen, King Randolph speaks up, "Son, you better listen to what she has to say." When Charlie ignores him, well, let's just say that King Randolph wasn't going to let his son treat him like that.

The furious king curls his fingers into a fist. His knuckles turning white, his jaw clenching. King Randolph's face slowly turns as red as one of the roses in the garden, and he grits his teeth. If this was a cartoon, red flames would be replacing his eyes.

His fists lifts up into the air and then meets the table, shaking the table and everything on it. The clang echoes throughout the large room. My body jumping out of my seat. Even Charles jerks his head up and meets eyes with his dad.

"Listen, I am not handling this junk from you. You're mother cares much for you, and you are not showing respect." King Randolph.

Charlie rolls his eyes and scowls, "How can I respect someone who doesn't care what I want!"

"I do care what you want!" She says, loudly.

"Then why don't you listen to me?" Charlie yells.

Queen Chelsea opens her mouth to speak, but King Randolph interrupts, "Charles, we do not need you questioning every single thing we do in this castle. Keep your yapper closed, and while you're at it, you can forget about that girl, Ruby--"

"It is Emerald!"

"You know who I am talking about! Apparently, your ignorant mind won't process that you will have a future with Arizona, not Emerald. Forget it." The king growls, but Charlie wasn't backing down.

"Why should I?! She makes me happy! Something you or Mum never did. She is the best thing that ever happened to me. I would give up everything for her. Someday, I will marry her even if you don't bless the marriage! Someday, I won't feel like I am trapped! Someday, I will be allowed to love her," my heart was beginning to break seeing him like this.