My Two Left Feet

Chapter 11- My Two Left Feet

Charles and I finish eating our smoked salmon with dill and I pat my satisfied stomach. I dab a napkin on the edges of my mouth. I get up, getting ready to leave but he stands up, too.

"C'mon, don't you want to learn to dance?" He asks.

"Dance? Oh, no! Dancing isn't my thing..."

He pulls me away from the table and smiles. I stumble towards where he guides me, and he places his hands gently on my waist. I flinch a little because nobody has ever touched me like that. Yes, I know it seems odd that I've never been touched on the waist, but I've never had a true boyfriend before, so I've never been to a dance either.

"Okay, I'll start with something simple to begin with. Very simple." He says, grinning, "Now, you place your hands around my neck."

I put my hands on his neck beside his Adam's apple, and he laughs, making his Adam's apple bob.

"Don't choke me!" He chuckles, "You put your hands on the back of my neck."

He positions my hands on the nape of his neck. His neck feels warm against my cool hands, and I timidly glance at Charlie. He smiles and his smile is contagious because I smile right back. He pulls me closer.

"Now, you mainly follow my lead and go along with what I do. Most girls set their head on the man's shoulder while they slow dance," he explains.

I nod, and I wonder if he can tell that I'm partially freaking out. I have no idea what I am doing which makes me nervous.

Thump.

Thump.

Thump.

My heart beats faster.

He moves slightly starting in a circle, he's beginning to slow dance. I focus on his feet movements and I try to copy them. I don't know how but I end up kicking him in the shin. He grimaces and bites his lip.

"Sorry!" I blurt out.

"It's okay... Just keep going..."

We keep on, but then I step on both his feet. He backs up a bit, stopping us from dancing.

"I am-"

He interrupts, "No, it is alright."

"Sorry..."

We dance and I go on for a good bit without injuring him. He grins and I think I'm getting the hang of it, until I stumble over my own feet. I begin to fall but he catches me.
He loses his balance and we both fall onto the hard grey stone. We lay beside each other, and I look over at him. He looks over at me and we laugh.

"In case you didn't notice, dancing isn't my thing," I comment.

"Oh, trust me, I noticed. The proof is on the bruises on my legs and feet," he chuckles.

I roll my eyes. "I'm sorry about that."

"It's all fine and dandy!"

He makes me laugh harder. That's such a funny word, dandy!

I groan, "I am too lazy to get up!"

I shocked myself when I said that. Laziness?! I am never lazy! What has this place done to me? Have I really become this lazy in the couple days I've been here?! I don't know for sure. Maybe it's just a phase. Yea, it'll probably wear off soon! Hopefully...

We stare at the sky. The pitch blackness that is enlightened with the tiny glowing specks that we call stars. They sparkle and shine, and there is a full moon. The moon smiles down at Charlie and me. I quickly see, out of the corner of my eye, a shooting star. It went by so quick, I thought that it was just my imagination, but Charlie saw it, too.

He points in the direction that the star was at, "Did you see that?!"

I nod and his eyes are filled with excitement. "I have never seen one before, Ari! Make a wish!" He demands.

I close my eyes gently and I wish. I wish with all my might. Please, oh pretty please, let me be able to get out of this mess and make it back to Jasper and Miles. My eyes flutter open, and I sigh. Hopefully, a wish upon a star really does come true.

I relax and the hard floor seems comfy. Charlie and I stay silent, staring at the night sky. The night drifts me to a deep sleep. My eyes become heavier and heavier until I cannot even hold them open.