A Dip In The Pool

Chapter 27- A Dip In The Pool

I make my way up to my room with a happy tummy. They served me eggs and bacon today, and if I could, I would marry bacon. Bacon that is slightly crunchy and has a small smokey flavor to it. It makes my mouth water every single time. Also, the smell is like heaven! The delicious aroma makes my stomach crave for bacon even more. My stomach can be very demanding at times.

When I begin to pass the Tea Room, a loud crash makes me poke my head in. I see Bethany picking up a shattered teacup hurriedly. My instinct tells me to help her, and I do so. My hands carefully lift the broken pieces of the, once elegant, teacup.

"Oh, Arizona, you don't have to-" Bethany begins.

"But I want to." I interrupt as we meet eyes. Bethany has droplets of sweat on her forehead and she looks utterly exhausted. Her eyes have a tiredness to them that express her hard work. Even her hair seems to be graying more.

She sighs and walks slowly to go get a machine that cleans the room and starts it up. Bethany takes the remains of the porcelain teacup from my hands and disposes of them. While wiping her brow, I decide to ask her what she is doing today.

"Well, I have to set up the tearoom for Queen Chelsea's get-together with her companions, and then, I need to retrieve decor for the wedding. Stuff like that." She explains as she takes a breather.

"Are you alright?"

"Yes, I have just been working a lot and," she looks up at me with a weak smile, "it is a lot for fragile elderly body."

"Oh, Bethany, you aren't old." I say. My definition of old isn't in the sixties. To some people it may, but not to me.

"Arizona, how kind of you to say, but these past years have been rough on me..." her hand fanning her face.

I pull out a chair from a table, "Sit."

Bethany shakes her head reluctantly. "No, no, no, I will get into trouble. I have to set the tables!"

"Sit. You are too tired... and don't you worry about the tables. I will set them up for you. No worries." Bethany begins to protest but I say something that I believe she can't refuse, "Please... like a daughter helping her Mum around the house."

I find it ironic that I say that while I have no idea how that feels. The only way I got that phrase was when Jasper met up with us at a restaurant and was late because he was helping his mom around the house.

What would it be like to have a mother? Well, I will never know.

Bethany hesitantly plops herself in the seat and points to a cart full of silverware, teacups, teapots, saucers, napkins, and name tags. "That is the stuff you'll need... if you drag the cart over this way, I can show you how to properly set it up." I do as told and she shows me exactly what to do, and she hands me a seating chart. Before I know it, I am setting up tables on my own.

As soon as I place the last name card on final finished table, Queen Chelsea rushes in with KC, "Arizona, I have been looking for you all over!" Bethany rises from her chair and pushes it back into place as the queen continues, "Arizona, what in the world are you doing?!"

"Setting up tables? Isn't it obvious?" I raise a single eyebrow at her.

"Why?" She says, her forehead scrunching up and her eyebrows tangling together.

I shrug innocently, "Bethany was a bit tired so I thought I would give her some assistance." As I expect her to yick-yack at me and give me a lecture about how I am not supposed to do that, her face softens. Her eyebrows separate and her forehead loosens.