District Eight - Female - Taffeta Awl (AnderaGNovak)

Name: Taffeta "Taffa" Awl

Age: 24

District: 8

Appearance: With an old-fashioned charm about her, Taffeta is small and pretty, often being mistaken for a teenager around the age of 17 or 18. Her hair is permanently in large, dark brown ringlets, falling just past her shoulders, and her eyes are blue, with a ring of yellow surrounding the pupil. Her body is lean with recently acquired muscle, and although her height is less than impressive, and is in fact very average (5'8), she holds an air of dignity and grace around her. Her lips are pink against her pale skin, and her eyelashes are described as dark butterfly wings, by those who admire her. However, Taffeta's once smiling face is often dimmed with sorrow, and her eyes have a hard edge in them, often being crinkled in concentration for one reason or another.

Personality: Taffeta is like two sides of a hard metal coin. One side- the one most commonly on display- is the cheerful, funny, optimistic side, the one that wants to win her freedom, wants to live to see another sunny day, the side that can take any bad situation and make the best of it. However, the other side- the one she hides because of her own fear in it- is the side of hate and destruction that broke through when she lost the last person she loved. This side yearns to kill anyone who gets in her way, yearns to make others feel her suffering, but most of all, yearns to die herself, once she has avenged those she cared for. Taffeta tries her hardest to be the shinning side, not wanting people to see how much she lost, or to see the real reason she is with the rebels. Not to defeat the Capitol- although that is part of it- but to steal from them what they stole from her.

History: Taffeta was a normal child; she lived by the rules, never got into trouble, adored her family, and while couldn't say she loved the Capitol, had never been touched personally by the Games, so could live with them so long as they kept their distance. It was in her mid-teens that Taffeta's life changed, whether for the better or the worse she cannot say. To put it simply; she fell in love. At 16 her dreams had been blossoming into reality, to become one of the leading seamstresses and take the place of the current old woman in the factory. Yet, at just under 17 years of age, Taffeta locked eyes with Olefin, a man by his own right at 18, the exchange between them, could be described as nothing less than love at first sight. Then everything went wrong. It started with small ripples of whispers of other districts rebelling, then an abrupt increase in peacekeepers in her own district. It became a normal thing to see citizens beaten in the square for walking too slowly, or not getting enough work done. Taffeta took this all in stride, ensuring she was always on point, never giving the peacekeepers a reason to look at her. Then, only days after her 19th birthday, they killed her parents. She was told that they had been harbouring fabric and shipping details that were supposed to go to the Capitol, yet she knew the real reason; her parents had too much power in Eight, so the Capitol got rid of them. Only a few months later, after her broken heart had mended, and the peacekeepers had stopped watching for a spark of rebellion in her, she finally took up Olefin's offer to run away to Thirteen; to join the rebellion. They got three miles from the district before they were ambushed by a small troop of peacekeepers. With nothing to defend themselves with, they ran, however, upon finding what Taffeta thought was sanctuary- a small cave hidden from view as the peacekeepers went by- soon turned out to be just another grave. Without her knowledge, Olefin had been shot, a deadly wound in his back. He took the moment to propose to her, and with tears in her eyes she said yes. With anger and pain in her heart, Taffeta made her way to Thirteen alone, ready to do whatever it took to get revenge on the Capitol for all that they had stolen from her.

Weapon: Taffeta has become quite skilled with a bo (a staff about 6 feet long made of hollowed out wood or bamboo), however, she can also use both long and short range bows, if the need arises. During her time in Thirteen she has practiced with many weapons, but normally only feels comfortable with her staff or bow during missions.

Token: The fabric engagement ring Olefin made her.

Other: Taffeta believes she can speak with ghosts, due to the fact that she often hears Olefin's voice 'guiding' her.