Task Three - The Hostage

The pyre gloes in the night, shining red and hot. Bodies pile by the fire, awaiting their turn to burn. Although Julius has not succeeded in getting the information he hoped for, the body count has soared beyond expectations. This has always been inevitable, but those to have fallen are proof that nobody is safe.

Meri Chenelle, Griffin Woods, Almonzo Dell, Saffron Brunner-Oak, Laurence Soye.

Now there are but fifteen of them.

***

In the theater, the atmosphere is sombre. The lights are dimmed right down with the exception of the old spotlights, which spill cold white light down onto the stage. Crouching in the front row, Kalea fiddles with a huge camera, for once completely absorbed. Elpis smooths his hair and suit with ritual concentration.

"Are we nearly ready?" Alithia asks. Pandora sweeps back and surveys the stage critically, taking in the lights, the podium dragged in from the props room by the President herself, the Capitol eagle on the screen that normally tracks the rebels. A slow smile spreads across her face, shadows rippling over her cheeks and her eyes glittering.

"Ready."

Kalea gives a thumbs up. Her tongue justs out between glossy purple lips and her eyes are narrowed as she makes the final adjustments to the camera, ensuring that it is trained on the podium. Years of social media has reaped its rewards now. She squints into the camera sight and grins at her fellow new Gamemaker. "Ready, El?"

Elpis only nods. Alithia gives him what is intended to be an encouraging nod. "Three. Two. One."

"We are live!"

Tugging once more at his suit, Elpis strides behind the podium and turns a cool look into the camera. In the bright white light his face appears sallow and his red hair appears to be the only colour on him. When he speaks, his voice is cold and detached.

"Surprised? You shouldn't be. We have been watching you. We know your names, your ages, your strengths and weaknesses..."

"Tone it down, Elpis."

Elpis, just starting to really enjoy himself, shoots a glare at Alithia and tempers it instantly on seeing the look she returns. Behind the camera, Pandora taps Kalea on the shoulder and gestures to the screen. He ignores them, continuing in his usual still tones.

"Aren't you forgetting someone?" Behind him, the Capitol eagle is steadily being replaced by the Thirteen seal and an image of the wasteland above the district. He can almost hear the gasps... "If I were you," he says, "I wouldn't leave my loved ones where I can't see them."

He pauses, to allow the implication to sink in. Pandora's smile is sharp as a sickle's blade. For the first time Kalea is entirely still, her attention absorbed in the camera.

Alithia joins him at the podium and he automatically shifts backwards, hands knotted out of sight of the camera. "Consider your position," she says. "Your numbers are dwindling. Can you really sustain this against the force of the Capitol? More importantly, can you afford to risk the lives of those you love yet again? Give yourselves in and we will let them go and look upon you kindly. Within reason. Goodbye."

"And...cut!" Kalea's head pops up over the camera, beaming. "That was great! El, you were wonderful!" He bobs his head in acknowledgement, though a small and disarming smile creeps across his face. As Kalea flutters over to her friend, Pandora gestures Alithia to one side and the two stride off into the wings, away from the junior Gamemakers.

"Alitha. Their loved ones. Do we actually...?"

"What do you think?"

Task:

- At midnight, the message appears in the sky. How does your character react?

- This is about your character alone. Other characters may feature but should not play a major part.

- Four will die. Six will be put up for votes.

- Word Limit: 1,500

- Deadline: 10PM BST Friday 11th July.