Task One - The Square

"They're approaching Glory Square."

"Thank you, Elpis." Light sarcasm drips from Alithia's tongue as the four Gamemakers watch the screen in front of them. Outside it is late evening, the fiery Capitol sunset streaking over the columns of smoke and piles of ash that are all that remains of the suburbs. Every building still standing is packed as the citizens take frightened refuge. The only people still on the deserted streets are the Peacekeepers. Already they are congregating around Glory Square.

Built after the quashing of the first rebellion, Glory Square is a good distance from the central Capitol but is still a popular destination, being surrounded by top-class restaurants and boutiques. Fairy lights hang from the awnings, music drifts from the cocktail bars and in peacetime Capitol youths desperate to be seen in society lounge gracefully on the fountain, laughing and joking over the gentle stream of water. Now it is empty. The falling light casts menacing shadows over the alleyways.

"We could let them take it, then trap them inside. Cut off all the exits, block the flow of supplies and let them starve," Pandora suggests. Subtle chains of gold and silver snakes around her wrists and clink along with her.

Kalea nods emphatically, her neon curls bouncing around her head. Today's dress is an eyewatering gingham that seems to glow in the gloom of the theater. They have already assumed familiar positions; Kalea flitting around like a startled butterfly, Alithia poised and calm in front of the screen, Pandora sweeping along the edge of the stage in soft, ghostly silver, Elpis sitting in the front row, just watching.

Not one of them looks scared.

"I used to go there all the time," Kalea chirps. "There's the most divine seafood restaurant..." She trails off when Alithia shoots her a glare.

"We can discuss our nostalgia later," she says, in a voice like steel. "There are more pressing issues at this current moment. Send in the Peacekeepers, Sixteenth Geminia Unit."

"Right away, Miss Warwell." For a second the only sound is Elpis giving steady instructions into a communicator in a low, emotionless voice. Pandora fixes her fellow Gamemaker in a curious look, rearranging her bangles. They glitter and glow in the dim light of the screen.

"Alithia..."

"I know what I am doing, Pandora. What use is a slow, starving death? It takes up patience and resources and gives their friends in Thirteen time to organise a rescue. We will not risk it."

Elpis' instructions are complete. On the screen Peacekeepers flow into the square, a tsunami of white uniforms, each armed with a gun and a baton, each trained almost to excess. As the makeshift rebel squad reaches the first of the entrances a loud voice with a strong District Two accent gives the order to fire. Gunshots ring through the dimmed speakers.

Within seconds a full-scale battle is underway. The rebels are armed with a range of weapons, and as well as the bullets a series of knives and other sharp objects flash in the evening sun. The regulated ranks of Peacekeepers split as members of their number go down, dead or injured, and the rebels seize the opportunity and press forwards. Several of them have seized control of buildings and fire from the windows. The Peacekeepers return it without flinching. This isn't warfare, it's chaos.

"Miss Warwell!" says Kalea, whose ever-present smile has barely faded. Next to her Pandora watches, her face no less serene than ever. "This is just like..."

Alithia allows herself a small grin. "Exactly. Welcome to the bloodbath."

Task:

- The rebels must take control of the square and secure it as their base. All information about the square is in the above piece. We won't answer questions about what you should write; it's all down to your imagination and ideas.

- You may kill as many people as you wish, though it won't count towards who goes up for votes. The Gamemakers will decide on ten people to go up for votes and eight will be knocked out.

- Word Count: 1,500

- Deadline: 10PM BST Friday 27th June.