Chapter:1

I finished scraping some change off the table and into my pocket. Then finished cleaning the table and took the dirty dishes to the kitchen. I set them down and went out to take a few orders. It was a slow day so I was the only one besides two chefs and the waitress behind the counter.

When I was done going around I took them back to the spinning rack and made up the drinks. Most in here are either truckers passing through or regulars. I passed them to the tables before getting the refill pitchers refilling any drinks. The bell above the door signaled a customer.

I said the usual greeting to whoever it was and continued on. Once everyone was satisfied I went over to where the new customer was saying "hello," my name then saying "I'll be your waitress and what would you like to drink?"

"Coffee pitch black." A deep vibrating voice said. I glanced up seeing a handsome chiseled face. "Is that all to drink?" I asked. "Yes ma'am." He said before I went back to pour the cup. I took it to his table and asked if he was ready to order. "How bout the special?" He asked. I wrote it down before taking it to the rack.

I then catered to another table before clearing off one getting the change off the table, pocketing it, and taking the dishes to the kitchen. "Come on Starling. Get back into the dating game. Flirt with a guy." The older cook said. "No thank you. I'm fine with the single life." I told him before going back out to make sure that the customers were satisfied.

I went around for refills before clearing off another table. The bell for an order rang. I took the plate to its designated table before cleaning several other tables just to kill time with just two customers. One of the customers grabbed my attention. I finished up with him before I took the receipt to the newby.

He stopped me to pay for it there. I went to take it to the register. By the time I found out that he had included a one hundred dollar bill in the bills he gave me, he was no where in sight. I put the money for the meal and coffee in the register before the old cook whisper shouted at me.

I went up to him. "Keep it. That man was obviously tipping you." He said. I sighed before slipping it in my pocket. The owner came out dismissing me from my twelve hour shift. I went home, got a shower before eating something and working on my online college work.

The doorbell rang. I sat my computer to the side before going to answer the door. A package sat on the doorstep. I picked it up. It's too late for it to be the post office. I didn't see a shipping address so someone must have dropped it off. It only had my first name in masculine handwriting on a business note card. 'Sheallow oil.'

I didn't know anyone from that business or where it was located. I took it inside and opened it up. It wasn't a large box, only big enough for what was in it. Inside was a phone with only one number. I tried to find more information on it finding nothing. I set it aside before going back to my online class.

Yes I know it could be a bomb, but who from an oil company would send a phone bomb. The phone dinged. 'Hello bird. I hope you had a nice shift. I enjoyed the food.' I read off the phone. "Ok. Stalkerish." It dinged again. 'Most usually recognize me because of my father's business.'

I let it go and finished up for the night before going to bed.

Unknown

When I saw her as I was walking into the diner I couldn't stop glancing at her. I tried to stay as long as I could. After I paid for the meal and tipped her, I had to get to know her better. I had someone dig up as much as they could on her in a late afternoon into late evening. Good thing she is the only Starling in this small town.

What It Wasजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें