Chapter 34

*Emma's POV*

We were halfway into the movie when my phone started ringing. I saw that it was Barry and knew it was an emergency. "Hey Dick, Mikey, there's an emergency at the CCPD. I have to go. Sorry guys," I apologized.

"Don't worry about it sis, just go," Mikey smiled understandingly. I looked at Dick and he just nodded and smiled. 

"Thanks guys," I grinned. I answered the phone call and grabbed my jacket. I put it on while making my way to the door.

"What happened?" I asked immediately. 

"Leonard Snart was spotted at Central City Museum. I'm coming to pick you up now," Barry explained. He hung up without warning as I rushed to put my shoes on. I ran out the door and turned around to lock it. Right when I finished I turned back around only to come face to chest with Barry Allen. I looked up at him and smirked.

"Well hello there Bartholomew," I teased. 

"Shut up," Barry joked. He picked me up and ran to STAR Labs. 

Barry raced into the lab and put me down. He was getting faster so once he put me down I was a bit dizzy and was stumbling. He grabbed my waist to steady me and I looked at him. The space between us was limited. It seemed as though every time we touched, our bodies got closer. I shook the thought from my head and just smiled at Barry. He smiled back and let go as soon as I regained my balance. "Don't catch anything on fire and don't faint," I spoke as I pushed Barry towards his suit. He nodded and left, his suit gone with him. I turned to look at Caitlin, Cisco, and Dr. Wells. Caitlin looked disappointed, Cisco looked guilty, dejected, and scared. Dr. Wells looked angry. "What happened?" I asked, confused as to why they were all feeling negative emotions. They were about to answer when we heard a grunt of pain come from the monitors. We all rushed to the monitors. A few minutes later, Barry ran into the Cortex. We saw the a patch of ice on his abdomen, and we immediately noticed Barry's wincing. Caitlin went to work. She dragged Barry onto the hospital bed in the Cortex and I called Felicity. "Felicity, you might want to come to STAR Labs right about now." I waited a few minutes for a response. It was quiet in the Cortex aside from Barry hissing and grunting from pain.

"I'll be there in 15 minutes, I have to change," Felicity's voice broke the awkward silence.

"Alright, see you then," I addressed. 

"See ya," Felicity called before hanging up. Caitlin had moved away from Barry to analyze the sample she'd taken from him. I looked at Barry and he patted the spot next to him. The tears in his eyes were evident so I nodded and I sat next to him. He grabbed my hand and intertwined our fingers before resting his head on my shoulder. Fifteen minutes later, Barry and I were in the same position when Felicity walked in. "Hey guys. Barry are you okay?" Felicity's voice went from cheerful to concerned very quickly. Barry gave her a pained smile and a thumbs up. She grabbed a tablet and started opening Snart's records and looking through them. Minutes became hours and still the Cortex was quiet. Caitlin walked back over to Barry and put a scanner in front of him. It shone a green light on his wound. Barry touched it and winced.

"It's still numb," Barry spoke, the pain evident in his voice.

"It's presenting itself like 3rd degree frostbite," Caitlin told him. Barry pulled his shirt down and looked at me, our fingers still intertwined. I gave him a small smile and rubbed his arm, knowing full well somebody had died. We all knew by the way that Barry hadn't said a word to anyone until now. 

"I thought he had hyper healing," Felicity piped up. Caitlin walked around Barry and I.

"It's been slowed," Caitlin informed. "If your cells weren't regenerating at the rate they are, your blood vessels would have frozen solid and the nerve damage would have been permanent." Caitlin showed us the x-ray as she explained what would've happened. "You're lucky to be alive."Barry got up and pulled me over to where he was walking.