Chapter 24

*In the Bat-Cave* Emma's POV

When we went downstairs, I saw Bruce. "Bruce!" I exclaimed.

"Emma," Bruce smiled. I went over to him and hugged him tightly. He was taken back, but returned the gesture. "How's your friend Barry? Is he still in the coma?" Bruce asked.

"He woke up almost a month ago. He's never been better," I smiled thinking of Barry.

"That's good. You were devastated when you found out. Ronnie's whole case didn't help either," Dick said. I frowned slightly but quickly recovered. They both smiled at me sympathetically. Dick left to put on his Nightwing costume and Bruce started talking to Commissioner Gordon after they noticed my change in mood. Damian stared at me strangely and I just shook it off. I went upstairs to the manor and Damian followed me.

"What's your story Raymond?" Damian asked me when we got upstairs. I took a seat in the kitchen and Damian did the same.

"Well...my Dad died in the 9/11 attacks thirteen years ago, when I was twelve. He was in the air force. I have an older brother named Finn. He's in the military and currently in Iraq. He's eight years older than me. I have a younger brother named Michael who is seventeen right now. I have a best friend named Iris who lives in Central City, where I live. I have another best friend name Barry who was struck by lightning nine months ago. He was in a coma up until three weeks ago. I have a cousin named Ronnie who died nine months ago in the particle accelerator explosion. That's the basics really," I said to Damian.

"You've lost a lot people Raymond," Damian said. I just nodded not wanting to speak.

"I would appreciate it if you called me Emma. Raymond reminds me too much of my dad, and Ronnie," I said. Damian nodded and we headed back down to the Bat-Cave. Bruce was finishing up a call with Commissioner Gordon. Dick was in his Nightwing costume and I went and stood next to him. Damian stood behind Bruce's chair.

"How's Ubu?" Bruce asked.

"He's got more monitors connected to him than Arkham has lunatics," the commissioner said.

"Can he talk?" Bruce questioned.

"Talk? It's a wonder he can breath," Gordon answered. My eyes widened. How can such a cute little kid like Damian do this much damage to someone like Ubu?

"Stay in touch," Bruce said before cutting out of the chat.

"He doesn't deserve to breath," Damian said. Bruce abruptly stood up and slid the chair towards Dick and I. We backed up and Dick put his hands up. "Uh-oh," Dick smirked. I elbowed him in his ribs....hard. "Ow!" Dick whispered.

"Quit being mean and be quiet!" I whispered back.

"Do you know what you were tonight?" Bruce asked Damian threateningly, "You weren't a warrior, you weren't a soldier. You were a child."

"If it hadn't been for him I-," Damian started pointing at Dick when Bruce cut him off.

"If it hadn't been for Dick, you'd have gone too far," Bruce said. I looked at Dick and back at Damian. I had been getting used to the nicer atmosphere back in Central City and STAR Labs. I forgot how dark and gloomy it is here.

"It's easier my way," Damian retorted.

"It's got nothing to do with easy. It's about doing what's right because it's right. That's the only reason you need," Bruce said glancing at me. I smiled slightly. A few years earlier, I had said the same thing to Bruce when he had found his parents killer. Bruce was conflicted and I tried my best to help him. Obviously it worked.

"Seemed right to me," Damian said.

"That's the problem," Bruce said walking past Damian towards the Bat-mobile.

"Heads up," Bruce said. Before I knew it, a ninja star was headed straight towards Damian's head. Damian caught the star with no effort. My mouth hung open and my eyes widened. "Good reflexes," Bruce complimented.

"What if I had missed?" Damian asked.

"It would have hurt," Bruce answered smartly.

"It's a League of Assassins star," Damian realized.

"What's the League of Assassins?" I whispered to Dick.

"It's hard to explain. They have been run by Ra's for years. It's the home to the Lazarus pit, a hot tub-type thing that extends your life. They are not exactly the good guys," Dick summed up.

"Ohh okay. It's where Sarah went for a while right?"I questioned.

"Yup," Dick answered.

"I wanna help. Like he used to!" Damian said pointed at Dick. We had missed out on a lot of their conversation.

"Bad enough you've given yourself away and let them know we're onto them, but you're letting vengeance blind your actions," Bruce said.

"You've never felt vengeful?" Damian asked.

"Everyday," Bruce said, "You have to keep your center Damian. You can't fight crime by becoming a criminal."

"How about you teach him...becoming Robin would help him not be vengeful. And teach him not to kill," I added trying to convince Bruce to let Damian be Robin.

Bruce sighed, "From now on, stay close. That's an order."

"I can do that," Damian said looking at me. He gave me a thankful look and I smiled at him.

"Wait a minute. I'm not gonna like this am I?" Dick asked.

"Nope!" I said walking upstairs. "Where are you going?" Dick asked following me.

"I'm gonna talk to Barry," I said.

"Ohh, is he feeling the aster now that he's up?" Dick asked using his dumb words.

"Yeah, he's totally crashing the mode," I said making up two words just like Dick.

"Next thing you know, yours and Barry's grandkids are going to be saying that!" Dick teased. I turned around and bat-glared and him. I have perfected it over time, Dick knew that. I haven't used at STAR Labs because I don't need anyone there to tell me anything important yet. I only use it when I need to, but in Gotham it kind of become a habit of using it.