Chapter 43

Laurel’s POV

I sat in a chair in our living room. Our home was traditional French style with modern upgrades. In short, I LOVE it. It’s so quaint and cute. I sipped hot cocoa, NOT COFFEE!, while I watched Keith work on some super high-tech laptop. It looked dangerous, specifically because it was so plain looking. He was using this plain Jane laptop to look into every member of Alexandre Moreau’s pack. All of them, he had a stack of print outs on almost all the members. The only ones missing were the Alpha and his top circle.

Click Clack Click Clack

Adreana came into the room as Keith entered into a very robust round of typing. She was wearing jeans and a simple white tee. She looked radiant as she smiled at Keith and ran her fingers over his head. I felt a particularly crippling jolt of pain into my heart. I needed Vince.

I sighed. No use thinking about him. I allowed myself one brief feel of Vince through our bond. I sighed in equal parts happiness and regret. In opening myself to the bond with Vince I also opened myself to the one with Dominic. I felt towering anger. If I could feel it that meant he was almost insane with anger.  As soon as I opened the bond, the anger  transformed into razor sharp awareness, focused on me. I quickly shut the bond. Juggling these feelings with Vince and Dominic was a perfect reason why its almost impossible for a person to have double mates. No normal person could deal with the turmoil and up and down of so many emotions.

I got up and began to pace. That brief moment of awareness worried me. How could he have felt me? Maybe my emotions were too high strung for me to be using the bond. I just wanted to feel Vince for a little while, but that was foolish if it could alert them to my location. And if I were caught so were Keith, Ava, and Adreana. Technically what they had done was illegal. Spiriting away the Alpha female is a serious crime. Of course its meant to stop people from trying to kidnap her, which would tear apart any pack. A pack without its Alpha female just didn’t run as smoothly, not to mention the alpha went crazy looking for his mate.

When a wolf mates the feelings are strong, but most females hope that their mate is an alpha or beta, not for the power, though there are a few that do want that, but for the intensity of their love.  An alpha feels things more strongly, because they have to in order to care for those they have taken under their responsibility. Its not all fun, games, and whoring when it comes to being an alpha. The job is hard, which is why there is a hierarchy of wolves, decedent from the first family of weres to take on the task of uniting wolves from roaming nomads to fully functioning societies. Even then there are the few bad seeds that sprout up in any crop, that must be weeded out for the good of all. This is why the task of being alpha is handed down through bloodlines but not specified for any one person. That person has to prove themselves worthy of the job of handling so many lives.

Clearly whoever wins is the strongest and best for the job, it also means that their level of commitment and caring runs deep, and what female wouldn’t want that?

As I paced and thought, I heard Keith grunt happily. Apparently he had found what he was looking for. The printer started spitting out page after page.

“It required some doing, but we have what we need now. I’m going to separate these pages into packets for all of us. These need to be read before our meeting with Alpha Alexandre and his pack.”

We nodded as Ava came into the room carrying LJ. At almost ten months he was growing so fast. He wiggled in Ava’s arms until she put him down. Then he took off around the room, his little legs barely seeming to hold him up as he inspected the tiniest particles in the room. I felt my heart swell in gratitude to the fates for blessing me with the perfect little boy. His skin was a darker yellow brown mix from his time in the sun and outdoors here in Angers.