Chapter 38

^^^NEW FAB FAN!!!^^^

Jensa’s POV

I was so foggy. Why was I so foggy? Did I get drunk. I tried to think back but everything was black. There was nothing. I could remember my party last night but after that, nothing. I was 20! And my mate was about to find out I was his. I had always hoped it would be Vince, but lately I was praying it wasn’t. I didn’t want to drag him into my shit.

You see, three years ago, about, I was sitting home in my room worried. My parents hadn’t come home yesterday. I was really worried because this was unlike them. Sure they never paid me much attention, but they were still always home. Where I knew where they were.

As I sat on my bed, listening to some music, and doing my homework I heard the door open and shut.  I surged up out of my bed. It was rare, unthinkable, really, to show emotion in our home. But right at this moment I wanted to grab both my parents and hug them and kiss them.

I ran down the stairs of our home. It was a modest two level home. We lived in a neighborhood of mixed races. It was pretty much an even distribution of all. Our house was blue, with my mom’s garden in the front. I loved that riot of color. Out house wasn’t huge, a four bedroom with a decent living room and kitchen. Our furniture wasn’t high class or extremely expensive, but I loved it all just the same. It was home.

I knew my parents were not satisfied with where we were in life. Where they were. They had gotten pregnant with me early out of high school and life growing up had been a struggle. I think it became a little easier for them once I turned 15. I got a job at a local grocery store and I paid for my own clothes and things with my checks. Silly me, I thought that would thaw the coldness in my home. I didn’t necessarily think my parents blamed me but I knew they weren’t happy. It’s funny what a child can pick up on. Especially when we went to pack functions. The wealth of our fellow pack members was on display in the form of cars and jewelry and things. I saw and heard, even if my parents never said anything specific to me.  We were apart of a wealthy pack, and my best friend was Vince, the nephew  of the alpha and son of the beta. My parents were always having to pick me up from his house or us up from some excursion. That might have smarted them. I didn’t really consider it as a child. Only now.

I jumped the last two steps and ran to the direction of the front door. Eager to see my parents. To know why they hadn’t come home last night. I skidded to a stop when I saw who was there. The beta. He looked somber, and deep down I knew that this wasn’t good news. He had me sit on the sofa, and he held my hand as he looked into my eyes. Mr. Walker sighed deeply as he held my hand. His next words changed my life.

“Jensa, I’m sorry. I don’t want to have to tell you this, but… Honey we found your parents car about a mile outside the compound. Their car was wrapped around a tree, their bodies, well, we couldn’t tell who was who. I’m sorry to be so blunt but you need to understand. They are gone. I am so sorry."

I heard the tears in his voice as I looked upon the man who was a close second as far as father figures go. He moved to hold me in his arms. I didn’t move. I didn’t return the hug. I just stared out of the window into my mom’s pretty, colorful garden. This couldn’t be real. If it was, how are the flowers so pretty? How are they so cheerful? Why is the sun shining? Why isn’t there a storm of cataclysmic proportions out there destroying everything like the one that was in my home, destroying me? I was paralyzed.