1

I walked back into my balcony, Skepta's Blacklisted playing in my room. I turned to my left and saw the Ethan kid.

"Rah, you're still here?" I scoffed.

"You came back out?" He replied in the same tone.

"Touche." I chuckled.

It was silent for a while.

"What's your name?" he asked.

"None of your business, son."

"Excuse me?" He spluttered.

"Why should I tell you my name, I don't know you from anywhere."

"I'm your neighbour, don't be so difficult."

"Who asked for your name? Lemme know."

He did a short chuckle, sighed, and walked back into his house.

I rolled my eyes and stayed outside a while longer, before I heard my iMessage alert go off repeatedly and sauntering off to my room, smiling and shaking my head wondering what my friends just dropped within our group chat.

**

My alarm started ringing, and I groaned, reaching over to my phone and swiping to the left with closed eyes. Something I had learned to master when I got my iPhone. I stretched and swung my legs over my bed, sitting up. I grabbed my towel and walked to the bathroom.
The house was always quiet in the mornings with out my siblings around.

There were three of us; Max was in his third year of university, aged 21- in Birmingham, Sade decided to be difficult and go down south, to Southampton - she was in first year, 19. And me? College. The youngest in the Peters family tree, age 17.

I soon finished in the bathroom and got dressed, wearing a white shirt, black jeans and my red fluxes. I dragged myself to the vanity mirror in my room and fixed my vixen sew in, putting my hair into a top knot. I did my makeup, pulled my bomber jacket from my wardrobe and grabbed my adidas ruck sack before leaving the house.

"But why are you looking nice today though? Are you peng?"
I smiled as I heard Kemi's voice come closer whilst I was locking my door.
Kemi had become more than a friend to me since year 1, if anyone asked who Kemi was to me, my reply was always "my sister". Kemi lived a few streets away from me, and a ritual we've had for over 11 years was to go to school together, and leave together; always.
"What, so you're buff now yeah?" I questioned her, chuckling whilst she twirled and did a little bum shake in her college attire, braids flying as she did so.
We both started talking about the bullshit that was being spoken in the group chat as I put my keys in my pocket and she closed my gate for me.
"I couldn't BELIEVE what Seraphina was saying, I wanted to spin her jaw on the spot." Kemi started.
"She's lucky I'm a changed girl to be frank with you, if this was last year..." I didn't even need to finish myself sentence. We both knew what we we would've done if we were stuck in our secondary school ways.
The journey to college was a quick one, and soon I had settled into my first lesson of the day, Literature.
"Alright class, we're welcoming in a new student today, why don't you introduce yourself?" said Mr. Willis, gesturing at a girl with teal ombré hair at the front. She stood up and sighed,
"Hi. I'm Elena. Can I sit down now please?" She rolled her eyes.
Mr. Willis nodded and she slipped back into her seat.
"Ummm..." He began, rolling his eyes around the class, scanning for someone to pick on.
"....Violet, why don't you sit next to Elena and tell her what we've been doing so far?"
"I can't lie, isn't that meant to be your job, sir?" I replied, the whole class sniggered.
"Violet." He said sternly
"Did I lie, sir? Or are you gonna pay me your wages for doing your job, sir?" I smiled
"She's right sir, maybe she should teach instead of you. Might be live, sir." Mark chipped in, flashing a smile that made the girls on our table cross their legs.
Mark was a childhood friend of Kemi and I, with us living in the same area, we were really close to one another. He was of Bajan descent, his smooth caramel complexion made girls swoon; definitely not me - this yout was another brother to me.
Mr. Willis shook his head and proceeded to take the register, muttering to himself as to why he's been cursed with a class like this.