2

I went downstairs after I heard my stomach start to grumble. Opening my fridge, I saw my mum had made a cheesecake, placing a note on top of it that read, "For the Robinson's (Next door)" in her swirly handwriting. I shook my head, smiling. For a 2nd generation Nigerian lady, my mum was so western. She still held some traditional values, but boy was she English.
After popping a quick snack into my mouth, I took the cheesecake and proceeded next door.

**

I rang Elena's bell, and the door opened almost immediately. A woman with very light skin and curly hair stood before me, her green eyes turning into slits as she smiled at me.
"Violet?" she asked, and I nodded.

"You look so much like your mother."
I smiled, as she was right. Most of my looks: my chocolate brown skin, deep ebony eyes and hair came from my mothers side, not much characteristics came from him - my estranged father, which is just as well.
"Hello Mrs Robinson. This cheesecake is for you."

"Thank you, love. But please! Call me Marie." She exclaimed.

I smiled at her warmly before she took the cheesecake from my hands and ushered me into their living room.
They had pretty much finished decorating the house, pictures of Elena, Enoch and a younger copy of him placed around their living room.
"Thank you for helping Lena settle in to college, she can be difficult at times." I wrinkled my nose.

"Elena? Difficult?" I questioned her. Even though I'd only known Elena for a couple of hours, I couldn't imagine her being difficult, as I was the epitome of all things difficult.

"Elena has the worst temper," she chuckled.
"In secondary school, all she could do was fight, I just hope no one gets on her bad side, or presses any buttons."

"Mum! Stop making my new mate feel afraid of me." I heard Elena shout, her voice coming closer as she flew down the stairs.

"And you were intimidated today? Hulk you know." I chuckled as I nudged her.
She rolled her eyes playfully and furrowed her eyebrows at her mum.

"Lena, I was just debriefing her," she laughed.
"Do you want anything Violet?" Marie continued.

"No, I'm fine thanks Aunty Marie." I had to add on that 'aunty', although she said I should call her Marie, I'd feel so disrespectful.
She smiled at me warmly and Elena led me upstairs into her room.
I noticed how much Elena and I have in common as I stepped in.

"Rah, you draw too?" I said, taking in all the artwork she had placed around her room.

"Yeah. Took it up as an A Level." She replied, connecting her iPhone to her wireless speaker.

"Didn't know Hulk could draw." I joked, and she laughed a very a big laugh. Elena had one of those laughs where it was funnier than the actual joke, and soon enough we were both laughing, tears streaming down our faces.

"Elena, laugh one more fucking time I will duppy you, I swear to God."
Enoch burst into the room, his eyes softening when he saw me on the floor, regaining my breath.

"Enoch, don't be so mean to your sister."
Elena laughed again.
"Enoch you know! V, I'm dead. Deceased, bury me please." She said, laying down on her bed and crossing her arms like she was in a coffin.

"You lot sound like hyenas man. Keep it down."
Elena's body shot up.

"OI. Don't order me around, I'm 3 minutes older than you bro. Let's not get ahead of ourselves."
"Don't try and moist me in front of your new mate." Enoch replied, looking down at me and smirking.
I really needed to plan how to stop this guy from laughing at me. Maybe sewing his lips shut would work. I smiled at the thought.
"V."