Letter Bee

Alt Title: Tegami Bachi

Year: Fall 2009

Subbed

Cat.: Fantasy, Adventure

Episodes: 25

Summary: In Amberground, the land of eternal twilight, Letter Bees and their dingos – creatures trained to protect them – deliver mail to the general populace. However, unlike normal mail carriers, their job is perilous as they must traverse the country while fighting off the giant armored insects known as Gaichuu. One day, a Letter Bee named Gauche collects his latest delivery: a young boy named Lag Seeing, whose mother was taken under mysterious circumstances to the capital of Akatsuki. As the pair travels together, they strike up a friendship, but when they finally reach their destination Lag and Gauche part ways. Now, several years later, Lag is about to take the exam to become a Letter Bee himself so that he can meet with Gauche again and find out what really happened to his mother all those years ago. But before any of that, he must find himself a dingo...

************************************************

The series starts out strong by following Lag on his initial journey from meeting Gauche as a young boy to his entry into the Beehive. These opening episodes immediately grab attention by thrusting the viewer into the middle of a plot where Lag’s mother has been spirited away to the capital by mysterious men.Letter Bee then proceeds to mix slower paced sections of development in the relationships between Lag, Niche, and Gauche with moments of engaging action featuring the Gaichuu (armoured bugs).

But in its later episodes it falls into a very slice of life monster of the week form. While it shows you the day to day life of a Letter Bee. Although it does pick up again in that second season.

I give this 4 out of 5.