Michiko to Hatchin

Alt. Title: Michiko and Hatchin

Year: Fall 2008

Dubbed

Episodes: 22

Cat.: Action, Adventure, Police, Violence

Summary: Hana is a nine-year-old girl who lives in constant fear of her abusive family; Michiko is a sexy woman who has just done the unthinkable: broken out of the impenetrable Diamandra Penitentiary. After Hana is whisked away by Michiko, who claims to be her mother, the duo sets forth on a high octane ride towards freedom. In the streets of Brazil and aboard Michiko's motorcycle, Hana and Michiko will look for Hana's long lost father, try to learn to co-exist and get along together, and stay one step ahead of the police and afro-clad Atsuko.

**********************************************

Without spoiling the story entirely I will say that, yes, Michiko to Hatchin at its very core, stripped away, pared down, shaved and otherwise mangled—is a slice-of-life, family-ish tale about relationships, how they form, break and the struggle to adjust as they change and about never giving up on a dream, at any cost.

This story, while not gore-ridden and a shock fest, does tip-toe around some rather serious and interesting flaws in humanity when you aren't looking. When you least expect it while trying to figure out a certain piece or why something has happened and how it fits in with everything else—there's a very real, very dark side to life in this story and setting Michiko to Hatchin presents to the viewer on a very no-frills sort of plate for us to devour.

I have no idea why it took me so long to review this. I watched it for the first time years ago. That being said, GO WATCH IT NOW!!!!!!

I give it a 5 out of 5.

*******************************************************

I am finding out only today June 14, 2015 that this anime will be airing on Toonami starting June 20, 2015.

Also the anime Akama ga Kill that I have yet to post a review for will also air on Toonami starting August 8, 2015.