Break A Leg

<Unedited>

~Flirting With The Good Girl~

Chapter22: Break A Leg

*Jessica Knight*

"Why did you invite him?" Carter mutters irritably.

"Who, Jake?"

"No, the muffin man! Yes, Jake."

I roll my eyes and lean back in my chair. "He's my friend, Carter. I can't just exclude him because you have a problem with him."

"It's not just a problem, Jay." He says. "He was my best friend and he just completely turned on me."

"He made a mistake. People do that. No ones perfect."

"But he rubbed it in my face afterwards. He was trying to make me angry and he didn't even care." Carter replies.

"Okay, so he was a jackass but that doesn't mean he wanted to stop being your friend."

"I tried to give him a chance at being my friend again but he didn't take it. He doesn't want to because ... he's ... because he's Jake!" Carter says rolling his eyes at Jake who's standing by the fire talking to Bridget.

"Well that's your guys problem." I say. "Work it out because either way, he's going to be and staying as my friend."

"I don't like this, Jay. I don't want you being friends with him."

I sigh and prop my legs up on the chair and turn to him. "Do you trust me?"

"Yes."

"Then that's all that matters." I say.

"Yes, but I don't trust him. Not anymore."

"This is ridiculous, Carter. He was your best friend. Can't you make up and recreate that weird bromance you two had going on?" I say.

"I could ... and I did ... but not again."

Dipshit.

I run my hand through his hair and kiss his forehead. "Can you try again? Please?"

"Jay -"

"Please?" I say in the sweetest voice I can muster up.

He sighs and leans his head back so he's looking up at the sky. "Jay, you better be happy I love you."

I smile and kiss his exposed neck. "Yay! Okay, go make up."

"Not right now, Jay."

"Why not?"

"Because he's talking to Bridget." Carter replies.

"So? Go talk to him. The sooner the better."

He pulls me into his side and kisses my head. "I will, but later. Okay?"

"Okay."

*

*

*

Ethan plops down beside me with a smile. "Hey, Jess. What's up?"

I steal a glance his way and raise an eyebrow. "Not much." I narrow my eyes. "Why does it look like you did something?"

"What do you mean?"

"You have this look ... it's just like, devious." I say cautiously.

He chuckles lightly. "I always have that look, Jess. No need to worry."