Betrayal Can Only Happen If You Love

~Unedited~

~Flirting With The Good Girl~

Chapter15: Betrayal Can Only Happen If You Love

*Jake Parkers*

Don't panic. He's your friend. I'm sure he wouldn't do anything rash ... right?

My back hits the wall with a powerful force as Carter grabs my shirt and slams me into the wall again. "Tell me it's not true!" He hisses. "Tell me you didn't kiss her."

"It's not true! It never happened!"

Carter narrows his eyes. "Are you lying to me?"

I drop my gaze. "I don't know? Maybe we could discuss this at breakfast. You know, where there will be witnesses."

"Jake, stop talking bullshit and tell me the truth! Did you fucking kiss her?"

I push his hands roughly away and step towards him. "Yes, I did kiss her, twice actually!"

His hands ball up into fists as he steps forward. "Why, Jake? Why the hell would you kiss her?"

"Do you really want to know why? Because if I tell you, we may have a problem."

The look in his eye shows me he's done playing games. I never thought he'd find out this way -or at all.

"Tell me."

I guess it's time. "I kissed her because I had to. I kissed her because she's the only thing on my mind. She's all I think about. She makes me happy when you guys can't even. When I'm with her, I feel alive again. I'm not in pain." I say. "She makes everything worth living and I couldn't refrain from it."

He shakes his head and backs away from me. "Please tell me this is some fucked up joke. You're not really in love with her, are you?"

"No, I'm not in love with her."

"But everything you just said, I ... I can't even talk to you right now." He turns his back on me and walks toward the door.

"Carter, look, I'm sorry -"

He pulls his arm away from me and slams me back into the wall. "No, you're not sorry! You know how much I love her. Why would you do that to me?"

"I didn't want to hurt you. I didn't even -"

"If you didn't want to hurt me you wouldn't have kissed her. You wouldn't have kept this whole thing a secret from me! If you were really my friend, you would not have kissed the one girl I actually love. Sure Megan was fun and all but Jessica is different." He wants to hurt me -bad. I can see it in his eyes as he tries to contain himself. "You fucked this up, Jake."

He walks toward the door but before he leaves, he says, "I don't want you near her. And I don't want you talking to her."

What? He can't keep her away from me! I'd go crazy. He doesn't control what I do, or what she does. He can't do this. Friend or not, he won't keep me from seeing Jessica.

I'll go all Romeo and Juliet if I have to.

Love. I guess I never really considered it. But I don't love her, not yet anyways. And if Carter thinks keeping her away from me is going to make my feelings deteriorate then he's mistaken because not seeing her will only make me want her more.

"No."

Carter stops walking and turns back to look at me. "What did you just say?"

I step to him so there's barely a foot between us. "I said no. Did I stutter?"