Breathing Underwater

~Unedited~

~Flirting With The Good Girl~

Chapter10: Breathing Underwater

*Carter Daniels*

I watch as Jake's face turns a bit grave but before he can say anything, Ethan slaps a hand over his mouth and drags him out of the room.

I exchange glances with Garrett but he looks just as confused as me. "His man period probably." Garret replies with a shrug.

Probably.

When they return, Jake walks in cautiously like he's not sure what to say or do. He walks towards me with an unreadable expression that, I must say, scares the piss out of me.

When he's directly in front of me, he smiles. "Congratulations. I'm sure Jessica's a keeper."

He then grabs his backpack and slings it over his shoulder. "I'll see you guys tomorrow." And then he's gone.

I look to Ethan for some answers as to why Jake was acting weird but he avoids my gaze. "We should probably wipe this face paint off before mom gets home." Ethan says walking into the bathroom.

Me and Garret both stand there, knowing something is going on but getting no answers. It doesn't matter. Ethan and Jake have always been weird. So really, what's new.

+++

Who is it? I know it. It's on the tip of my tongue. I knew who that car belonged to but ... I can't remember.

Think, Carter! Who was it? A silver Pontiac 2009 model right before they quick making them. The tires had obviously just been rotated, the paint job was re-polished but there was no hiding the scratch that ran along the side of the car. The licenses plate had said Number 1 Dad. I know the car.

But how do I? Who's car is it?

Suddenly it feels like I can't breathe anymore. Like time has stopped and something is choking me -drowning me.

I bolt up right, my heart pounding in fear. Grabbing my phone I dial Jake's number. The phone rings a good few times. He doesn't answer.

I hop out of bed and dash for Ethan's room. Bursting into his room, I rip the covers off him and shake him awake. "What the hell! Carter!" Ethan hisses angrily.

I ignore his hostile look. "Jase, Jase is back! And he's working for Jerry! I saw him! Or no, his car! It was there and parked in ..."

He slaps a hand over my mouth and pulls me into a headlock. "Calm down, Carter. I didn't understand a word you just said."

I pull away from him. "Jase. He's working for Jessica's dad. He's the new co-worker."

Ethan's expression turns grave. "What? How do you know?"

"I saw his car parked in their driveway. It was him, trust me."

Ethan nods and jumps out of bed. "Okay, I'll call Jake and tell him. You call Jessica to make sure she's okay."

I nod, hoping she is and also hoping Jake will answer this time.

Scrolling through my contacts, I find Knight in Shining Armor, and dial.

I sigh in relief when I hear Jessica's sweet voice. "Hello?"

I run a hand through my hair. "Are you okay? Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Everything's good. Why? Is something wrong?"

Yes! Something is terribly wrong! "No, everything's okay. I just needed to make sure you were okay."