Infamous Last Words

~Unedited~

~Flirting With The Good Girl~

Chapter16: Infamous Last Words

When you get to <*> play Human by Christina Perri if possible

*Jake Parkers*

We are all like a boat afloat in the ocean. We endure the worst wrath of the waves and storms that come our way, but we continue to float on by. We get rained upon to the point of self pity and we forget that the now is now, not always, and not forever. We dwell on the problems that will soon become meaningless as time goes on. Because time will go on but we sustain our problems to feed upon us because one day, our boat will start to sink. Only then do we realize how important all those people were we met, how all those yesterdays hold our lives in nothing but an infinite memory.

Soon, we will be nothing but a vast memory of someone, and then soon, forgotten.

I don't want to think that all I have left is memories. That his boat is nearly sunk and I'm standing on the shore watching. I don't want to think that my own problems got in the way and is now destroying him because of something I did. He shouldn't have to take the fault in my actions.

But as I stand outside his hospital room, the world just seems to crash all around me, reminding me that this is my fault. Not his.

My whole body aches at the remembrance of standing beside his bed, his face barely recognizable from the blood that had been relentless to stop. Three broken ribs, a shattered collarbone, a dislocated shoulder, and head trauma, yet he still manages to hang on.

But the doctors are scared. Scared that this small glimmer of hope is all we get. He comes in and out of conscious every few hours. He can't speak or see us. He has tubes feeding him and keeping him hydrated. Stitches run up his arms, followed by wires hooked up to monitors that the doctors say are the only thing really keeping him stable.

No one is handling this well. Overall, Ethan seems to be the only one who can't deal with it. He paces back and forth and has developed quite the temper. If he isn't bawling his eyes out, he's shouting at the nurses and doctors to do something. Luke cries in the corner, allowing no one near him but Ethan.

Jessica sits in a chair with a dead look in her eyes, like she can't believe this is actually happening. She hasn't spoken since I told her what happened and we left for the hospital. She refuses to eat and only stares at his hospital door as if she's waiting for him to waltz out with a grin on his face.

Jackson's the only one who is handling okay but we all know he's broken inside. Everyone is.

Garret says nothing. He just chokes back the tears and composes himself, though we can see he's fragile and ready to bust any moment.

I lean against the cold wall and wait until the nurses will allow us to see him. He hasn't woken up for nearly two hours.

It scares me to know the last thing on my mind when I was with Carter was to hurt him. I'd give up anything if it would make him okay again. To take back what I said and how I handled it. I should have just let him be mad at me, not added fuel to the flames.

Like he said, I really fucked up this time.

Doctor Philip walks out of Carter's room with a clipboard in hand. "He's hanging in there." He says looking through the papers before meeting our eyes. "But I do have some bad news."

We all gather around, though Jessica stares off with tears in her eyes. Doctor Philip starts to speak, knowing Jessica is listening. "The head trama, it triggered something and caused him to go into a deep sleep. There's no telling how long he'll be out. It could be days, weeks, months, maybe even years. He's too weak and we're afraid this deep sleep is the only thing keeping him alive. We're trying -"