XV - The Story

When I woke up and checked the time it was just past 3 in the afternoon. I was feeling better so I decided to wash up and go look for Sophie, I know she's somewhere around the house. Hindi yun agad aalis knowing we have things to talk about. That's what I like about her, kahit madaldal yan, she won't force me to talk about things I'm not ready to share.

I was halfway down the stairs when Kuya passed by and saw me, "Hey, you're up" He said as he stopped sa dulo ng hagdanan.

"Yeah, Good afternoon Kuya. Where's Soph?" I asked while I looked around. It seems quiet, di ko rin naririnig si Sophie.

"At the Garden, I'm just gonna grab some snacks." He answered.

"May I join? I'll help you too." I asked again.

"Of course. But, are you feeling better?" He asked too.

"Yes. Let's go." I answered with a smile.

Sinamahan ko si Kuya hanggang sa kusina, kumuha kami ng cookies, ilang chips at softdrinks then dumeretso kami sa garden. Pat and Soph were sitting at both end of a small coffee table and was talking. I can hear them so we stopped not wanting to interrupt, parang ang seryoso kasi ng usapan nila.

"Tumawag na ba siya?" I heard Sophie asked Pat. Who is she talking about? Kit?

"He did. Halos every 30 minutes siya tumatawag to check on her. Should we let them talk?" Pat answered.

"Not now, gusto ko muna makausap si Alex before he does. I wanna talk to him too, alone. You can tell him that." Soph said with finality.

Kuya just looked at me and gave me a reassuring smile, I just smiled back. Malamang ay tinatanya niya ang reaksyon ko sa narinig. Di ko rin naman pipigilan si Sophie. I know how disappointed she is and hindi niya ito papalagpasin. Parang pet peeve niya yun eh, when things get out of hand or her way, she wants to deal with it. Ayaw niyang may pinapalagpas. She won't just sit back and let things unfold. Hanggat kaya niyang kontrolin, she would. She isn't afraid to be heard.

"Snacks.." Kuya said aloud and both of them turned their head at the same time.

"Bes.. You're up. Bakit bumangon ka? Are you okay?" Sophie asked me, tumayo siya at sinalubong ako. Kinapa niya ang leeg at noo ko to check my temperature.

"Yes I am. Don't worry." I briefly answered her with a smile.

I sat down beside Sophie while Patrick was in front of me and beside him is Kuya Mico.

"So, Uhm.. Alex.." Pat started, I know he'll ask me. "What really happened?" He continued.

"Pat.." Sophie said with warning. "No, it's fine. I'm telling." I told Sophie and smiled to assure her that it's okay and I'm ready to tell my side of the story.

I breathed heavily before I started telling the story. "Well.. after Sophie left, Kit wanted to bring me home first before attending practice. Pero ang sabi ko sakanya, I can wait, since I need to go to the library. So, he said I can wait for him there and he'll fetch me." When I looked at them, Kuya Mico was listening attentively and so is Pat. But Sophie was looking away and irritation was etched in her face. Unang parte pa lang ng story, naiirita na siya.

"After some hour, I was done and just waiting for him to text me. Then, I saw Nikko at the library and he seems shocked to see me there." I continued. "He thought I was home because that's what Kit told him and that Kit went with Maisie." I stopped for a while, then continued my side of the story, "So, I was surprised and pissed and told him that Kit might have texted and I wasn't able to read it. I also lied to him telling I was with Soph." I finished. I sighed, kahit nakwento ko na, palaisipan pa rin sakin kung bakit niya ko iniwan, eh okay naman kami when he left me at the library. Wala naman akong ginawa.

"Then? Pano ka napunta sa inn? Did someone brought you there?" Sophie asked curiously. Napatingin din sakin ung dalawang lalaki, maybe having the same question in mind.

"Nope, I went out of the school, I walked trying to find a bus familiar to me or a taxi, but it started raining and my phone's dead so I decided to stay there for the night." I finished and shrugged my shoulders.

We were all silent for a while. Until Sophie blurted, "Did Kit attempted to call or text you?" She asked calmly. I thought she'll never asked. I know she's trying to get every bits of the story. Maybe she's also wondering what went wrong. 

"I don't know if he called but I received a text from him.. He said he'll be going out with Maisie and we'll just see each other around." I answered slowly. Gauging their reaction.

"Eh gago pala yan eh.." Kuya Mico suddenly said. Sophie just looked at him. Napatingin din ako sakanya. Nagulat sa reaksyon niya.

"Alex.." Patrick started, "You may think na bias ako since Kit is my friend, but he has a side of the story that you should listen to." He finished. His tone was pleading. Baka may alam din si Pat, but he don't want to ruin it for his friend. Si Kit naman talaga ang kailangan mag-explain ng side niya. Nobody else, but just him.

"Not today Sebastian." Sophie stated.

I stood up and excused myself to go to the restroom, but before I can even step forward, I saw Kit, standing near the door towards us.

"Alex.. I'm really sorry. Please hear me explain." He softly said. With worry, concern and exhaustion all etched in his face. I gulped. Kuya Mico stood up and blocked my view of the man who can make my heart skip a beat.

What the hell.