It's complicated - Chapter 23

Flora p.o.v

I head down the stairs making sure I wrap a cardigan around myself and bump, it's getting harder to hide, which is really annoying, and I'm still putting off telling dad, the smell of bacon drifts into the hallway, I breathe in deeply making my stomach go wild. I hope my mum's saved me some, It's difficult to eat as much as I want , without being questioned,when my parents are knocking around.

"Any for me?" I ask pulling myself up onto the counter. 

"Yes love, in a sec" My mum says. My dad nods me good morning as he comes in with the paper. 

"You're up early, considering how ill you've been lately" Says Mum. I look at the clock half 9. That is pretty early for me. 

"Yeah, I feel a bit better" I say putting my hand self-concioussly across my stomach, I don't know how much my mum knows, but I think she suspects something, she won't say anything in front of my dad though, so I'm safe for a bit.

My mum puts a plate with my bacon sandwhich on, on the table, I hope down instantly and go to sit next to my dad, eating with one knee up to conceal it a bit. My dad always buys the papers because he likes to see what publicity the boys are getting, and recently I've been getting quite a bit too.

He passes me the newspaper where it's flicked to the gossip section.

"Weren't you with him that morning?" My dad asks, my throat goes dry as I survey the picture Harry getting out of his car at MacDonalds, he still looks really sleepy and dishevelled.

"Yes.." I say. 

"Why'd you make him do that?" My dad asks, he seems totally friendly about it but I'm a bit defensive. 

"I was hungry!" I say. 

"Keeping him on his toes? that's my girl" Says my dad drinking the dregs of his tea, and getting up.

"I'll put the recycling out before I go" He says to my mum, I sigh, thinking I got a lucky escape. 

He suddenly enters back through the door, he has something in his hand, a box, a small white box, my heart almost stops, but to run out now would look obvious, it's my pregnancy test box, he gestures to my mum to come into the hall, he's probably clearing she's not the pregnant one first, I look across the table, at my little brother Joey, he's 5, and he's sitting happily at the other side of the table playing with his bacon sandwhich, I smile at how innocent he is. I get up tiptoeing quietly where my dads shut the door. I press my ear to it. 

"So it's not yours?" I hear my dads voice get more rigid. 

"Go easy on her John, it might be Lauren's, or one of the other girls" I hear my mum's voice trying to calm him. 

"Well if it's Lauren's I'll be calling Mike and telling him a.s.a.p " Says my dad sounding even angrier, I hear footsteps and hot foot it back to my seat, pulling out my phone in casualness. 

"Flora" Says my dad. 

"Yes dad?" I say putting my phone away and looking up at him in innocence.

"Is this yours?" He says, I can tell he's tring to keep calm. 

"No emm- let me expl-" I say losing my calm exterior a bit. 

"Is this yours!? Answer me Flora?!" He says almost shouting, I notice my mum pull Joey out of the room, even though he's probably throuroughly entertained. I hear my mum come back in the room. 

"No-" I say , he cuts me off again. 

"Stand up!" He says. 

"What?" I ask.