Chapter 51

Ryan sits up, after eating he does feel much better. He knows that Jack had to leave because Michael and Gavin got in a fight, something about an older kid picking on Lindsey or something, and that his dad was supposed to be taking care of him, so he figures this would be the best time to get some answers. He quietly got out of bed, grabbing his tray to make it seem like his only reason for getting out of bed wasn't just to confront his father. He hesitantly walked down the hall and made his way to the kitchen, where he found his father pacing back and forth and mumbling to himself. Ryan makes his way over to the sink, placing his tray in it. He takes a deep breath, preparing himself for what he was about to do.

"Hey dad," He says, causing Thomas to jump rather noticeably.

"Huh? Yeah? What?" He says, both earnestly and with a hint of annoyance in his voice.

"Um, can I ask you something?" Ryan hesitantly says, fingers toying with the end of his shirt.

"If you have to." Thomas replies, annoyance much more clear now causing Ryan's resolve to falter slightly, but not completely, so he persists.

"What happened between you and Geoff?" He asks confidently, confidence he honestly didn't know he was capable of.

"None of your business kid." Thomas says bitterly.

"No, it is my business, Geoff's my brother and he has some kind of problem with you and I want to know what it is." Ryan argues, he surprises himself, he's never argued with an adult before.

"Look kid, I'm already at the end of my fuse here, and I'm pretty tired playing the 'apologetic father' role. So keep pushing me and maybe you'll get your answer." Thomas threatens, a look in his eye that scares Ryan, but not enough.

"What'll you do? If you hurt me Geoff and Jack will do so much worse to you." Ryan has no idea where this courage is coming from, maybe it's the adrenaline, maybe it's the cough syrup, but whatever it is he's going with it.

"Oh, yeah, I got worse people breathing down my back than your goddamn brothers. Way worse people, people who I owe a lot, and I mean a lot, of money. So yeah, I'm so scared of your brothers." Thomas slowly paces towards Ryan.

"Well, then I guess no matter what, it looks like you'll get what coming to you. Once I tell my brothers what you said you won't be able to stay here anymore, and from the sound of it, it won't matter unless you sell a kidney. Right?" Ryan says, a smirk playing on his lips. He knows he can be sassy, but when he tries he knows he can be so much worse.

Thomas' eyes widen suddenly, his frown turning into a sneer. "You're right. But who says that kidney has to be mine? Those asshole won't care whether they take me, or, say, some shitty little fourteen year old."

Ryan's face drops.