Chapter 46

"Ryan! Breakfast!" Geoff shouts as he finishes making the last sandwich, "I hope he's feeling better, he seemed better last night but he still had a fever." He reaches into one of the lower cabinets for a brown bag for his lunch, as he pulls it open the handle pulls off completely. He's been putting off fixing it for about a year and this finally forces his hand. He shrugs as he places the almost two foot long metal handle on the counter.

"I'm sure he's fine," Jack begins, "never mind" he adds, prompting his barely-older brother to look over his shoulder. Ryan shuffles into the room, blanket wrapped around himself, head down, and definitely looking not better. Possibly worse. No, definitely worse.

"Oh geez Ryan, you still not feeling too hot eh?" Geoff asks him, though he could already tell what the answer is. He receives a simple shake of the boys head in return. "Alright, go on back to bed. I'll call you in and stay with you again today." Ryan silently agrees, although he doesn't want his brother to miss more school, he knows that he's not well enough to go in so he has no choice. The boy turns around, making his way back to his bed.

"Geoff, you shouldn't miss two days in a row. I'll stay home with him today." Jack says, sipping his orange juice.

"No, its fine. I don't mind." Geoff argues.

"Dude, its fine. I don't want to go in anyway. Either way" Jack lowers his voice, "we're supposed to have a quiz on what we learned yesterday in Spanish, and Ms. N isn't going to make you take it, you weren't there, but she'll make me take it and I didn't pay any attention yesterday."

"I guess but," he says, throwing a glance at his father at the other end of the table, "I'd feel better staying with him."

This look doesn't go unnoticed by the slightly younger, bearded brother, prompting him to get up. "Okay, we need to talk about something." He takes strides toward the hallway. "Now." His tone almost forcing the other to follow him. Geoff knew what this was about. He also knew how little he wanted to talk about it, especially now. Despite this he follow Jack into the other room.

"What is going on?" Jack hisses, grabbing his brother by the arm, pulling him even farther from the kitchen where the rest of the family sat, continuing their breakfast, as if nothing strange had occurred.

"What do you mean? Nothing's going on." Geoff shoots back, defensively.

"Do not play that shit with me Geoffrey. I have known you for seventeen years and in that time, I've gotten pretty damn good at knowing when you're lying. So what is going on?"

"Look, it doesn't matter-"

"It absolutely matters if it's this serious! Now what is it?" Jack demands, pushing Geoff off the edge.

"It's one of your goddamn business okay!" Geoffbegins to yell, quickly realizing that if he speaks too loud the kids will hearhim, he drops his voice back to a mere whisper. "Fine, you stay home today.Keep an eye on Ryan." He walks out of the room.

~~~IT IS FINISHED. I WORKED ON IT FOR HOURS TONIGHT AND FINALLY FINISHED IT!! WILL BE POSTING ONE CHAPTER EVERY DAY FOR THE NEXT WEEK! I'M SORRY THIS TOOK LIKE FIVE YEARS.