Chapter 45

"Today is a weird day. Actually, all week has been weird." Jack says to Burnie, slowly making their way to class.

"I bet, what with your dad coming back and all..." Burnie replies.

"Not only that," Jack, says, stopping his friend, "Geoff has been acting really weird. First he freaked out when Dad came home, which, is understandable, I thought I was crazy when I first saw him, but he's been really protective of the boys. I don't get why." Jack mumbles at the end of his statement, continuing to walk to class. 

"Well, didn't your dad used to be kind of a shit head?" Burnie suggests simply.

"Yeah... But its not like he ever beat us or anything... I don't even get why Geoff's all weird around him. I mean like, he was always Dad's favorite." Jack shrugs. "If anyone I should be the one to ignore him."

"Eh, you never know what goes on behind closed door. Or something like that. Maybe he was really hard on him when you weren't around?" Burnie suggests. "It doesn't really matter. Geoff has to have reason for not liking him."

The duo stop outside their Chemistry classroom, turning to face each other. "Yeah, and that's what I don't get. Geoff tells me everything. But suddenly, he's like this, and he barely even speaks." Jack says as they turn back and walk into class. "And y'know he started locking his door again. He hasn't done that since we were kids. Something is going on."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ryan kicks the blankets down to his feet. He knows when Geoff comes in he's gonna get yelled at for it but he's so hot. Ryan can't help but think back to his conversation with Geoff. He knows that Geoff has good reasons to tell him to stay away from their father, but he can't shake the feeling that there's more he hasn't told him. He thinks about asking him, but he knows that if Geoff is hiding something, it's for a good reason. He trusts his brother more than anything. So Ryan decides to let it be, but can't help pondering what Geoff could be hiding? The silence of his room is broken when he hears the front door open.

"Oh, Dad's home..." He says quietly to himself. He hears his father's footsteps move through the living room, and at the same time, his brother's in the kitchen. They stop walking, and Ryan can hear mumbled voices. He can't make out what they're saying, though. But he can tell in their tones that neither one is happy. Ryan slowly and silently creeps out of bed, and moves toward the door. He presses his ear against it. He can make out a few words, but not sentences.

"So...kid...better?" His father says.

"...feeling...where...day?" Geoff replies.

"Oh...uh...meeting...set...interview..." His father says, was he...stuttering?

"You...believe...I don't...you...really doing?" Geoff seems irritated.

"Why..lie...honestly...changed..." He sounds like he's begging.

"No...trust...really...what you...me...now...him..." Geoff sounds really mad.

"I...never...Ryan." Ryan perked up at the sound of his name. Now he really had to know what they were talking about. He slowly turned the door knob, and pulled open the door, silently thanking God that it didn't squeak. He stuck his head out the door.

"Like you did me?" Geoff sounds upset.

"Please. I'm sorry. It won't happen again." His father begs.

"Like I haven't heard that before. You know I still have nightmares about what you did to me? God-it fucking scares me so much, and I'm so fucking ashamed of what I let you do to me, I can't even tell Jack, or Griffon, or anyone! You are lucky I never went to the police." Police? What happened?

"Geoff I swear. I'm sorry." He begs again.

"I don't care. I don't give a flying fuck about how sorry you are. But if you hurt my brother, I will have you arrested." Geoff threatens.

"I won't hurt Ryan! I swear!" Geoff leaves the room and goes outside, slamming the back door. He starts to move back into his own room before he hears his father say one last thing, so low he's surprised he heard it. "Ray's the one you need to worry about." Ryan closes the door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay so writers block + depression =/= successfully writing a story. Sorry I haven't posted. Ive had a really hard time writing lately.