Chapter 43

"Ryan! Breakfast!" Geoff yells."He's usually the first one ready. I wonder what's wrong..." Geoff mutters to Jack, envisioning the worst, as he places the last two plates on the table.

"Maybe he has a test today. That's what you boys would do." Their father suggests, sipping his coffee.

"Yeah that's what we used to do. Not him. He's not like us, and we've changed." Geoff replies, his tone bitter.

"Oh..." Their father mumbles, acknowledging the sudden awkward silence in the room.

"Hey buddy." Jack smiles, trying to bring back a good mood to the room, as Ryan shuffles in. "You okay?"

Ryan nods.

"You don't look okay Rye." Geoff comments, rushing over to the boy's side. He didn't look okay, his hair is disheveled, his shirt is half untucked, and his face is bright red. Geoff gently places his hand onto his brother's forehead. "You're burning up."

"I'm fine!" He whines, pulling his head away from Geoff's hand.

"No, Ryan. You're going to bed! I'll bring you some toast and juice for breakfast in a few minutes. I'm gonna call the school." Geoff commands.

"No! I'm fine! Really!" Ryan insists.

"Listen to your brother Ryan. If you're sick, you need to get some rest." Their father interjects, eliciting a sigh from Ryan.

"Fine..." Ryan mutters, "I want strawberry jam on my toast." He says as he turns around and shuffles back to his room.

"Well, at least he's specific." Geoff chuckles. "I'll get started on the toast, you call him in?"

"On it." Jack says, pulling out his phone.

"Never heard of a kid not wanting to stay home from school before..." their father comments.

"Well Ryan knows that if he stays home. One of us has to as well." Geoff replies, putting the bread in the toaster.

"Yeah. He doesn't want us to miss because of him." Jack adds.

"Well I could watch him. I am-"

"No!" Geoff yells, cutting his father off mid-sentence. He clears his throat. "Er- I mean- That's okay. I would prefer to watch him myself."

"Oh. I understand. You worry about him, I'm sure. I have some errands to run anyway..."