Ch. 37

"Its almost the end of class." Joel whispers, leaning over yhe side of his desk. "when is he gonna snap out of it?"

"I dont know, he's been like that all class. I'm getting kind of worried..." Jack mumbles.

"Well, this is last period, maybe he's just tired?" Burnie says, turning around to face his friends.

"Yeah I'm sure thats it. But i'm just getting a bit worried about him..." Jack looks over to his brother. Geoff sits quietly at his desk, leaning his head againdt his hand and mindlessly playing with his pen.

"It, uh, it hit him pretty hard." Jack lowers his voice, letting his gaze fall to the floor, "It hit all of us kinda hard..."

"Mr. Hunter!"

Geoff finally snaps out of jis daze and returns to reality, as he and Jack look up to their teacher.

"Y-yes Mrs. J?" They say in unison.

"This is going to be on the test so you better pay attention!" She scolds as she turns back to the board.

"Uh, which one of us are you talking to?" Jack questions.

"Both."

Jack turns back to his friends, lowering his voice, "Got it."

Geoff simply drops his gaze back to his notebook, and continues to play with his pen. "Kay..."

Class ends with the final bell and geoff is the first to stand up. He rushes out the door quickly followed by Jack, Joel, and Burnie and quickly joined by Gus in the hallway. Geoff rushes to his locker, uickly grabbing his books and shoving them into his bookbag.

"Geoff! Geoff slow down!" Jack yells, grabbing his brother's arm. Geoff roughly pulls away and rushes out the front door.

"He's in a hurry..." Gus mumbles.

"He's taken it pretty hard. He won't let Gavin, Michael, or even Ryan out of his sight. And ryan waled here with Gav and Michael." Jack replies.

"Like usual?" Joel questions.

"Yeah but this time its different." Jack mumbles, shoving the last book into his bag. "Well I'll see you guys later."

"See ya." the guys say in unison as they watch Jack walkout the front door.

Jack quickly walks down to the parking lot where he usually meets his brothers. He immediately notices Geoff leaning against the car, Gavin and Michael in his arms. Jack smiles.

"Hey guys." He says as he walks up to his brothers.

"Hey." Ryan replies smiling. Neither of them notice when Geoff carefully places the two younger boys on the ground and pulls out his phone. The kids walk over to Jack, quickly attatching themselves to his legs.

"So how was school?" Jack asks, reaching down to pull his brothers off of him.

"Pretty good, we learned bout exponents in math. It was pretty easy." Ryan explains.

"Well thats good." Jack mumbles, pulling Michael and Gavin off his legs and up to his shoulders. "What about you two? Did you have a good day?"

"We divided!" Gavin yels.

"I played superheroes with lindsey at recess." Michael smiles.

"Well thats good."

"Guys," Geoff mumbles, prompting everyone to look over at him. Jack and ryan instantly go from silly to serious as they notice how pale Geoff looks.

"Whats wrong?" Jack asks quietly.

"They-uh- they found Ray..." Geoff mutters. Jack and Ryan look at eachother. From the way he says it, this cant be good.