Chapter 52

"It's the wrong kind of place to be cheating on you. It's the wrong time. She's pulling me through. It's small crime, and I got no excuse."

Chapter song: 9 Crimes by Damien Rice

(Justin's p.o.v.)
-10am-
I open my eyes to a seventeen year old girl sleeping adjacent to me, and I immediately curse myself. Quickly, I snatch my phone and check to see if Becca has called or texted me in the last 8 hours. Fuck, my heart's going a million miles a minute. I don't know what to do. Sofia and I didn't do anything, just slept in the same bed. There's not any harm done, but how come I feel so shitty?

Ugh, I need to call Becca. No, I need a shower, to calm down before I make anymore mistakes. Guilt travels through every vein as I step under the warm water. Ok...fuck, so I already lied to Becca about the bet. I seriously cannot lie to her about Sofia spending the night. I cannot lose her. Not over something as frivolous as this. I just can't. And I just hope she knows that none of this was committed to offend her.

If I explain the truth to Becca face to face, maybe she won't take it as hard. I can personally reason with her, and she can hear me out better. This isn't something I can just call her up and spill out. This is a personal, face-to-face matter. I can't have her hanging up on me if she gets upset. I need her to listen to me, look at me and tell me she still loves me.

"There you are," Sofia turns off her phone and flashes me a bubbly smile.
"Good morning," I grab a black tee shirt and pull it on. She keeps her smile as she heads into the bathroom. For a few seconds I contemplate on at least texting Becca, but I don't want to talk with her while Sofia's here. I need at least twenty minutes alone. I can't text her half-assed while she's patiently typing her words. Maybe later when I'm in Italy.

"When did you say the flight leaves?" Sofia asks when she steps out of the steamy  bathroom, drying her wet hair.
"Uhm, twelve," I stuff my phone in the pocket of my shorts, then gather my belongings.
"Ok," she fixes her outfit on from last night, returning back in the bathroom to do it.
"Are you heading out?" After Sofia steps out, I observe her as she grabs her purse and places my used tee shirt on the bed.
"Yeah. I need to pack my stuff. Meet you at the airport?" she walks over to me, her high heels clicking against the floor.
"Yeah, see you then," I peck her cheek before she saunters out of my hotel room.

"Damn," I sigh to myself, because I think I've taken this fake relationship too far. I crossed the line when I allowed her to spend the night with me. She's seventeen for crying out loud. I can't actually date her. My heart is for Becca, but what if I gave a tiny piece of it to Sofia? I give a little of myself to all my friends, so what's the difference now?

Suddenly there's a knock on my door, and I instantly stop packing to open the door.
"Hey Justin," Scooter stands in front of me in just a shirt and jeans, but somehow he still looks professional like always.
"Hey Scoot," I wholly smile at him, but I notice a half-smile on his face. "Is everything ok?"
"Can I come in?" he glances behind me as if he's searching for something.
"Oh yeah, sure," I motion him to come inside, walking to the nearby table. "What's up?" I turn to face his unhappy yet concerned expression.

"What are you trying to prove here?" he questions severely, sternness lining his brows.
"What?" I try to figure him out, but he doesn't really give me anything to solve here.
"You and Sofia. I hired her to instruct you, not date you. Justin, how does Becca feel about this?" Scooter stands with his hands held in front of him. He does that whenever he's talking business or, in this case, a serious matter.
"We're not dating. I'm just...getting to know her. And Becca doesn't even care. I called her yesterday. She understands," I blankly look at the ground, then back at him. I conceal every hint of my little guilt for the sake of myself.
"And Sofia? How do you know she wants to be just friends? She's a kid Justin," he lectures strictly, but it causes the gears to turn in my head. I soon ignore his question to grow slightly annoyed.
"I...I don't know. Shouldn't you be happy? You're getting a shit ton of money from this," I blurt out so involuntarily, and his eyes immediately soften.