Chapter 44 - Exchange part 2

2nd Day in Malta, Mdina, The Mdina Gate

(Y/n)'s P.O.V.

(The Mdina Gate)

(The Mdina Gate)

As we were approaching the gate, I said to them; "Come on! Let's take pictures in front of it."

As everyone took some pictures for 10 minutes in front of The Mdina Gate, we continued to walk. As we were walking through the open gate, which opens in half, I noticed that a small door was there. It was the size of a child, if not of a toddler. I asked; "Hey, do any of you know why there's another door here?"

"During the Medieval Period, the small door was used so that the knights could easily pass through the gate without actually opening it." Adrien said. I said to him; "Quite impressive. How did you know?"

"After you left to get your parents, I researched some of the famous landmarks in the Silent City." Adrien said to us. I was confused as we started to walk. My mother said to him; "What's the Silent City?"

"The Silent City is Mdina. After the Great Siege of Malta in 1565, the Knights moved Malta's capital, which it was then, to what is now Vittoriosa, one of the Three Cities across the Grand Harbour from Valletta. Once the capital left Madina, it became a virtual ghost town." Adrien explained. Wait, he researched the city? That's so adorable and amazing of him. As we took a few steps forward, my mother pointed towards above the gates. My mother said; "What is that?"

 My mother said; "What is that?"

"The Baroque portal. It's decorated with double pilasters, the coats of arms of Grand Master António Manoel de Vilhena and the city of Mdina, a trophy of arms and a Latin inscription reading." Adrien said. Marinette asked him; "Do you know what it has written on it?"

"ANTIQUISSIMÆ HUJUS URBIS, QUAM PATRES DIXERE NOTABILEM,

INSULÆ METROPOLEOS,

QUÆ DIVI PAULI PROVIDO NAUFRAGIO FIDEM EDOCTA

PRIMUM PRÆSULEM DIVUM PUBLIUM PATRITIUM HABUIT,

D: ANT: MANOEL DE VILHENA M: M:, EGREGIUS, ET PIISSIMUS PRINCEPS;