Chapter 32

"Hi, um..." I closed my mouth after a few seconds, when I'd composed myself. "I... I guess I'll go unplug the speakers then."

Everything I'd done in the next few minutes was practically in slow motion; it took me at least five full minutes to get to the room, unplug the speakers as well as my phone from my charger, and sit down on the edge of the bed and think about what the fuck just happened.

I swear just a few minutes before, I was in our room, kneeling next to my bed while making a playlist for our cleaning thing. Now I was sitting on my bed and wondering what the hell I was supposed to say to Liam when I go back out there – which would have to be any second now.

I ran a hand through my hair, and I think that's when I realized just how unprepared I was for this. I didn't think I would have to face him anytime soon; much less talk to him, in my own damn apartment.

"Sal? You okay?" I turned my head to the door to see Briana standing there, a look of concern visible in her eyes from a mile away. I sighed – trying not to make it sound too shaky – and nodded.

"Yeah, I'll be right there," I mumbled, but I was sure she heard me. Bri nodded and left the door open as she left. I could hear her speak, both of them speak, bit I couldn't hear what they were saying. Not like I was eavesdropping, or anything.

After a good minute of just sitting there and contemplating whether or not my heart was strong enough to survive talking to Liam, I took a deep breath and stood up. I figured, the longer I postpone it, the longer I'd have to beat myself up about it. So I might as well get it over with when I already can.

I placed my phone in the tiny pocket of my shorts – I'm pretty sure that picket wasn't made to hold a phone – and began walking out of the room. Wow, this is even worse than walking to get my high school diploma.

Although, when I walked out, I was a little confused with the scenery; Briana was rushing around the apartment with her jacket on, while Liam still stood next to the door after he'd entered the room. How many things did I miss out on?

"I'm gonna... we need more detergent, yeah?" She said, not even bothering to look me in the eyes while she talked, and lastly picked her keys up before walking to where Liam was standing. I see how it is, then.

"But..." I trailed off as I pointed to a box next to the sink in the kitchen, where I knew two bottles of detergent were. But I couldn't blame Briana for wanting to leave the apartment; if I were her, I would too. Actually, even as me, I still want to leave.

"I'll be back in..." But she closed the door before I could hear when she'd be back – I've a slight feeling that was intended.

"Okay then," I muttered to myself and scratched the back of my neck, the sudden realization that I was left alone with Liam making my heart start racing again. When I was sure I wouldn't genuinely start freaking out in front of him, I finally looked up from the ground.

"Well," I began, catching Liam's attention, "You can, you know. Sit or something."

He nodded after a few seconds of kinda just looking at me, "Okay. Thanks," He gave me a tight smile and painfully slowly walked over to the table, sitting in the chair I was sitting on barely ten minutes ago. If someone had told me I'd be doing this right now, I would have... I would've-

"How did you find me?" I asked before I could finish that thought in my head. "I mean... how'd you know where we live?"

Liam turned in the chair, and looked over his shoulder so he'd be able to see me. "Um... I'm guessing you haven't spoken to your parents, yeah?"