Chapter 17

"Hello," He dragged the word out as he closed the door the rest of the way, and walked over to the paydesk just as slowly. My hands were gripping the desk as I watched him, scared of what might be going through his mind, and what he might say. I wouldn't have been as worried if he didn't look like he was mentally strangling me and Dominick.

Liam's eyes darted from me to him for a few seconds, during which I felt as if time had stopped. All of us were frozen - Liam, because he didn't know what kind of a relationship Nick and I had; Briana and I, for the obvious reason; and Nick, presumably because the other three of us were.

"I thought you were at work," Liam decided to break the infinite silence, though his words made me wish he hadn't.

"She is at work," Dominick spoke, increasing the tension by 3000%.

"Oh?" Liam raised his eyebrows at him, while I prayed to God that I could find my voice soon.

"Yeah, I hired her like two minutes ago."

"You hired her?" He bit back, and even though he was obviously trying to sound casual, I could sense the venom in his voice from a mile away. This is not going to end well if you don't speak up.

But it's like my throat didn't hear my brain, as I still remained silent. How brilliant in a situation like this.

"Um... Sally?" I finally looked away from Liam to look at my new boss, who was frowning at me in a worried manner; his eyes went from me to Liam a couple times, "Am I missing something?"

Oh, nothing, just the fact that the guy who asked me out half an hour ago saw me hugging you. No biggie. "Um, I don't know," I said stupidly; he had to understand me, both of them did. I couldn't have expected this to happen in a million years.

"Why would you hire her?" Liam spoke loudly, his voice far too harsh for the words that had left his mouth. "If anyone's missing something here, it's me."

I glanced at Briana and Nick for a second, to see both of them looking at me, as expected. "Uh, well..." I started slowly, since no one else was going to. "I got, um, I got fired on Saturday."

"Aha," Liam said, beginning to piss me off a little. "And this is the first place where you came to look for a job?"

"No, I wasn't even looking for a job," I frowned, "I just came here because I like the place."

"Oh, you like the place?"

"Yes, I like the place!" I said loudly, the way he said 'place' making me want to set him on fire; I knew exactly what he was thinking about. "You've seen me here before, why are we even arguing about this?"

"We're not arguing, I'm just... thinking." He rocked himself back and forth, "You just came here because you like the place and this kind gentleman happened to offer you a job. How convenient."

"Yes, you nailed it," I said sarcastically, but only because he was completely right. I literally just came there and Dominick happened to offer me a job. As unbelievable as it may sound. "Anything else you'd like to know?"

"Yes, in fact," Liam said as he walked over to the desk and crossed his arms on it. "How about we move that date to Thursday?"

I honestly had no idea what I found more ridiculous; the way he emphasized the word 'date', as if he wanted everyone in the shop to know he was taking me out, or the fact that he wanted to move the date from Friday to Thursday. As if it was going to change anything.

"What?" I muttered, barely being able to hold in my laughter. "Why would we do that?"

He just shrugged, not taking his eyes off me once, "The festival in Birmingham starts on Thursday, so it'd be nice." If only his tone matched his sweet, sweet words.