Chapter 18

"So, anyway... how are things back home?" I asked as I watched myself in the semi-dirty mirror, trying to end our seemingly never-ending conversation about my date with Liam.

"You're talking as if you haven't been home in years," Briana said on the other line, the smile that I could hear on her face when we first started talking about the date, still present.

"This date seems like it's been going on for years, to be honest." I sighed and looked around, a bit grossed out by the way the bathroom looked. But it's all there was at the damned winter festival in Birmingham.

"Oh, please!" Bri whined, "We've been talking for ten minutes and you still haven't given me a legitimate reason why you want it to end so badly."

"Excuse you, I've given you about a hundred of those!" I exclaimed, frowning at my reflection. "All we do is talk and have tea and mulled wine. I swear, as soon as I come home, I am going to pee for three months straight."

"It can't be that bad," She said, trying to convince me in the opposite for the fiftieth time since I called her up. "Did you... you know, did you make out?"

"Yeah, but only twice. It's boring." I pouted slightly, partially at how smudged my make-up ended up being after five hours of doing... nothing really.

"What did you talk about?"

"Family, and what we do in our free time. That's why it's so boring," I said, and knew what was coming next.

"Um... is there something wrong with you?" Bri asked, sounding as if she genuinely didn't know the answer to that; just what I was expecting. "What the hell would you want to talk about, anyway?"

I bit my lip, searching for an excuse. "Um... I don't know, but-"

"Shut up, right there!" She laughed, "You're only looking for excuses since you don't want to admit how much you actually like him. Yes! I've finally got you figured out!"

I rolled my eyes and leaned myself against the sink, "I don't know... it's just, the thought of being in a relationship with him makes me a little nauseous."

"Well... I know what the reason for that might be." I gulped at her words, and I knew we had the summer of 2010 on our minds. I closed my eyes in an attempt to erase the images of that period from my head, and started shaking my head, even though I knew no one could see me.

"N-no, I'm sure it's not that. It's been over three years," I said, and we both knew I was trying to assure myself rather than Briana.

"It could be, though," She said, "I mean... I know you're scared, but I'm about 104% sure that Liam isn't like that. You should give him a chance, at least now."

I nodded at her suggestion, "Yeah, you're right." I glanced at my wristwatch and sighed, "Um, there are only ten minutes left 'til two, so I'm gonna get back to him. Sorry for waking you up, again."

I could almost hear a smile returning to her face, "It's alright, and that's a great solution. You'll tell me everything tomorrow at school, right?"

"Sure. Bye, I love you," I said with a smile as well, and hung up after Briana said her goodbye. I looked at myself in the mirror again, and ran my hand through my hair and wiped the make-up under my eyes off. After putting a bit of lipbalm on my lips, I decided it was time to join Liam again. I've been absent for around fifteen minutes, and there were ten minutes left until the festival ended, for tonight.

Breathing in fresh air almost felt like a privilege, as I walked out of the lousy toilet. Liam was sitting on a bench near by, watching the band that was playing from afar. I smiled as I walked over to him, and awkwardly sat down. It wasn't even awkward anymore, not after it's been like that all night.