Chapter 30

I just realized there are like five or so chapters until the end um

*******

"Uh, I don't know what else, you have food in the fridge, soda if you're thirsty, and we also have cable TV-"

"No, no, it's alright," I interrupted Karen before she could continue rambling, "I brought my books with me from school, I'll just... study while she sleeps, or something."

"Okay then," She smiled at me, and let out a small sigh – presumably in relief. "I wouldn't have even called you, but she's gotten sick over the past few days – she couldn't stop asking Geoff to take her out to play in the snow, and now she wakes up every ten minutes because her nose is stuffy and just... just..."

I bit my lip, and watched her as she scurried around the room, gathering all the stuff she needs before leaving the house. "I really need to go to work, I can't ask for more days off, and Geoff is at work too, and Liam is useless in this department-"

"Seriously," I cut her off again, "There's no need to apologize, or anything. I'm completely fine with doing this." I gave her a polite smile, and once again she smiled at me. I was just hoping she wouldn't start freaking out within a few seconds again.

"Thank you, really, you're a lifesaver," She placed her hand on my arm for a couple seconds. "And, you know, if you need to leave sooner rather than later, you can leave Karlie with Liam. I'm sure he's not that handicapped when it comes to babysitting."

"No, I'm sure I'll be able to stay until Geoff comes." One of the reasons I accepted babysitting Karlie instead of going to work that day in the first place, is because Karen told me Liam would come home from his apartment around this time. I wasn't even sure if I wanted to see him; but this was better than constantly having to ask myself, 'what if?' if I didn't do it.

"Well, he should be here any minute now," She said in such a casual tone, it was obvious that she had no clue what was going on between her son and I. "To be frank, I think you'd want to leave when he comes, anyway. He's been so moody lately, whenever he comes. The only thing that's missing is a literal rainy cloud over his head."

I nodded at that; she didn't know it, but I myself had a rainy cloud above my head too.

"I swear, I've no idea what's going on. Has he been hanging out with odd people lately?" Karen frowned at me as she stood up, and adjusted her coat. I just shrugged; it's not like I'd want to tell her, or anything.

Fortunately, she just lightly shook her head. "Weird. He's always been weird, but this is just..." With another shake of her head, she trailed off. "Anyway, you know what you have to do, right?"

"Yes, check on Karlie every five to ten minutes and give her tea when she wakes up for good," I said, placing my hands behind my back as I stood next to the front door. "Not let her sit on the floor, and, if I can, play with her."

"Good. Great," Karen mumbled to herself, looking around the house one last time before leaving. "Well, thanks again. You sure your boss is okay with you not going to work, though?"

"He's fine with it," I reassured her. "I'll just work an extra shift on the weekend, or something."

"Alright," She nodded, and opened the door. "Then I better get- oh, look who decided to show up."

And, yeah, it was definitely my rainy-cloud-buddy. "Hi mum," He smiled, and leaned down to kiss her cheek. "Sally," He muttered as he walked inside the house, barely glancing at me. I'm guessing he knew I'd be there.

"See what I mean?" Karen almost whispered. "Well, if you're okay with staying with him, then good luck. I'll be on my way."

"Alright, goodbye. Have a good day," I smiled at her one last time, and closed the door. And mentally prepared myself for whatever that was going to happen.