chapter 21

Violets P.O.V

The whole ball thing was pretty cool. I couldn't stop staring at the colours and the decorations of gold silk, it was very pretty. Just then James came up to me and handed me a small half mask.

"Whats this for?" i asked.

"It's your mask, you don't have to put it on yet. But everyone has to in an hour or so" He smiled at me and went back over to the doorway to talk to a posh looking vampire. The mask itself was the same colour as my dress, purple and black with small amounts of gold at the edges of the eye holes.

"whats a breather doing here?" a bunch of girls standing near a pillar all were staring at me. The girl who made the comment looked as if she was the leader, bleached blonde hairwhich looked awful. Make up that was caked on and the top of her dress was pulled down low so you could see the top of her cleavege, which i bet was all silicone.

"Why are you here stinking up our ball! you should run off back to the mud were you belong" She snarled at me, putting emphasis on the our. I stared her down trying to place my words carefully. I had just opened my mouth when one of the bitches sheep gasped.

"Look at her arm!!" she squeaked, looking horrified. I roled my eyes, of course my tattoos had started to glow very dimly. The girl who had yelled at me looked shocked and backed away.

"Im sorry, m'lady i-i-i didn't mean a-any dis-srispect" She stuttered falling into a low curtsy. James was at my side by the time the girl had come back up.

"It better not happen again or you will be punished" He said firmly. I stayed quiet as he guided me off to a side room that i hadn't noticed before.

"What the hell was that about?"

"Well nearly everyone knows the story about how the past king and queen made their only child a human to protect her."

"So whats the whole story?" i put my hands on my hips, oh this is gonna be great.

" Well, 10 years ago the king and queen at the time had only one daughter, it was all rather peacful for years. But the coven next in line for the throne were power hungry, They attacked the royal family and because it was just the three of them it was easy. One night without warning the entire palace was over run and no one could do anything, they killed everyone. But the queen had already planned their daughters escape, locking the vampire part away stopped any of them from tracking her. It's said that on her 20th birthday she will rise back and take the throne. My family has kept it for you in hopes that you'd return to us"

"So whats with these?" I asked pointing at the tattoos that were still visible.

"That shows us that your close to blooming. Midnight is your 20th birthday right?" I nodded slightly.

"we'll need to be careful because until then, the coven next in line. The Farnes, are going to try and kill you"

"Oh, great. well im sort of used to it these days" James looked at me. He didn't have to say anything, i understood what that look ment. It ment be careful, i dont want to lose you.

"Well, people are going to be wondering were we are." I walked past him and to the door.

"I've got my coven on the look out, they won't let you get hurt" I rested my and on the handle.

"I don't want to sound mean but, Don't make promises you can't keep" I walked out without another word.

I immeadietly regretted it. I was swamped with vampires, all of them wanting to pay respects about my parents or congratulate me on becoming the next queen or some of them even welcomed me back 'home'. A few guys began to flirt with me, i found it funny because James was standing a few meters away with a very noticable scowl on his face. The clock striked nine just after, and as if on cue everyone put their masks on. I looked back at James who had also put his on, he motioned for me to put mine on.  I felt a little clumsy in this thing and along with the dress i felt even more strange, James came up to me and held out his hand.