Day 59: Book to Consider (3)

Now that we have looked at two very different books (both still very beneficial for your walk with God), I would not like to shift gears to a book that defines your relationship with God. In this book, we are asked the defining question: am I a fan or a follower of Christ? As we take a moment to step back and evaluate our connection to God, we are faced with challenging thoughts. Am I a follower? "The dictionary defines a fan as 'an enthusiastic admirer'. Fans want to be close enought to Jesus to get all the benefits, but not so close that it requires sacrifice. Fans may be fine with repeating a prayer, attending church on the weekend, and slapping a Jesus fish on their bumpers. But is that really the extent of the relationship Jesus wants?" 

So who challenges us to evaluate our relationship with God? None other than Kyle Idleman's not a fan. 

Kyle Idleman is a teaching pastor at Southeast Christian Church in Louisville, Kentucky, the fifth largest church in America. With humor, he invites us to take an honest look at our relationship with God. Here is an exeprt to see why I like it: 

"If I did a survey and asked Americans, 'Do you believe it's important to eat right and exercise?' most all of them woud say, 'Yes I believe that.' Americans overwhelmingly say their helth is important. But the most popular food at state fairs is a bacon cheeseburger with a bun made out of two Krispy Kreme donuts. You're charged extra if you want chocolate covered bacon. Here's another example. A man might say, 'I believe in the importance of family. Nothing matters more to me than my family.' But if he turns around and accepts a higher paying job even though it will require more time away from his family, he has revealed what he really believes. We are saved by God's grace when we believe in Jesus and put our faith in him, but biblical belief is more than something we confess with our mouths; it's something we confess with our lives."

You can buy the book here: 

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/not-a-fan-kyle-idleman/1100479376?ean=9780310331933

There is also a special student edition here:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/not-a-fan-kyle-idleman/1116350768?ean=9780310746317

Figure out where you stand with God, today! -Katelyn