Day 52: Daddy's Sunshine

"Here we go again. I'm being a typical girl and arguing with my dad. I know he is always right, yet I can't resist a good fight. I don't even like fighting! Then why do I start them..?"

Have you ever been in a similar situation? It could have been with a parent, friend, spouse, child, or co-worker. In the heat of frustration, arguing to prove your point can seem justified. Why would you let them prove you wrong? Then, once the fight has simmered down, it starts to feel... wrong. I don't know about y'all, but I start to feel guilty and eager to throw water on the burns that were left from the fight. In regards to fighting with my father, I hate to fight with my him. Hate it. It's pretty ironic that he calls me "sunshine" when I can act more like a hurricane at times. There are tons of reasons that we fight with loved ones (or maybe in your case... not so loved ones). Maybe they did something that truly deserves your hard hand. Maybe you were having a rough day that caused you to lash out without a truly justified reason for your anger. Either way, it is important to work on your anger.  Lately, I have tried to avoid getting exasperated with my father and others around me. Still, my urge to argue feeds the fire. In my case, the truth is that my dad knows what is best for me. If I could learn to push away conflict, I could essentially avoid fights before they occur. In fact, if I could shut up and stop becoming panicky for once, I might actually gain some valuable information from my dad. Who doesn't want that? Remember that God doesn't want anger to stir! Try as hard as you can to think before you speak or act to better become "Daddy's Sunshine".

James 1:19-20 Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God.

Proverbs 15:18 A hot-tempered man stirs up strife,  but he who is slow to anger quiets contention.

-Katelyn