Day 31: Power Down

Electronics. They power our lives. Megan Fox once quoted, "We live in a society today where losing your phone is worse than losing your virginity." One would argue that she isn't one to talk, but the message still holds so much true! For us Christians, we may not view this quote the same way, but sadly, the world does. Our laptops, iPads, iPhones, Smart phones, iPods, TVs, Nooks, and cameras are what drive us. We hardly have time to just sit in the quietness of life. Did you know that things such as social networking and electronics actually lead to an increase of stress? We are constantly obsessed with what we do and what others do that we never cease to question its importance. I challenge you. Yes, you can use your electronics as needed, but when they aren't necessary, put it down. Grab a book, grab the Bible. Let God speak to you in the silence and beauty that God created. Not the digital screens, but the beautiful scenes. When you start to drop the reliance you have to it, life will get better if even by a fraction. After all, God speaks in silence. All you have to do is power down. Just as Matthew 6:6 says, "But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." Also, Proverbs 17:28 reminds us that, "Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent." God doesn't speak to you through the phone... He speaks to you through silence. All you need to do is power down and listen. 

-Katelyn