Day 66: The Importance of Family

Psalm 127:3-5 "Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate."

Proverbs 1:8-9 "Hear, my son, your father's instruction, and forsake not your mother's teaching, for they are a graceful garland for your head and pendants for your neck."

I Timothy 5:8 "But if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever."

Today, I write with one of the simplest, most straight forward messages: family is important. I'm sure that any one of you could think of a single person in their immediate or extended family whom you feel particularly blessed by: a mother, father, brother, sister, son, daughter, grandparent, aunt, uncle, cousin, niece, nephew. No matter who it is, all have experienced the unconditional love of a family member.

Then, reality sets in. Families are not perfect in any way, shape, or form. Our families are a giant ice cream sundae; when we put everything in it and mix it all together, it doesn't look very pretty. Luckily, when we take the first bite, it tastes wonderfully delicious. Despite unfortunate family conditions, we all have been blessed with people in our life that make us whole, keep us from feeling alone, and counsel us through life's biggest and smallest problems. Unfortunately, we fail to make them aware of their everyday importance.

Recently, I had the privilege of undergoing a second ACL and meniscus reconstruction surgery. When the process of repairing my knee was complete, my mom and dad accompanied me home and helped me in any way I needed. They were patient, attentive, encouraging, careful, and loving. People do not realize how valuable those qualities are until they experience a life void of them! Having a mother who pets my head and asks me how i'm feeling while simultaneously setting my dinner on my foldable dinner tray makes me feel cared for. Having a father who takes the time to tend to my medical needs with concentrated, tender hands makes me feel valued. When my siblings--my sister in particular--took the time to move troubling obstacles, carry my person items up and down the stairs, and sit on the couch for hours on end to keep me company, I couldn't help but feel blessed.

I don't think I have ever crammed so many thank yous and I love you's in such a small period of time. I can't help it! I feel so blessed, and I want them to know I am thankful for all their little acts of kindness that they might feel goes unnoticed! I want them to know that I recognize their love!

I challenge you today. Go to the person in your family (or family members--the more the better!) whom you feel particularly blessed by. Let them know how much you appreciate everything they've done for you and how much you love them. It may feel quirky at first, but I promise you it will stick with them not just throughout the day, but for the rest of their life. Nothing feels better than knowing how loved and appreciated you are! Oh, and don't forget to thank God for blessing you by putting them in your life. They wouldn't be here without Him. It also wouldn't hurt to pray blessings on those loved ones. God knows I do for my family!

I am so blessed. Love y'all.

-Katelyn