Gift and Punish

For all your patience....

*

Aro did not fall to the ground limply, as much as I would’ve enjoyed witnessing the immobile prospect. The air was already thick with bloodlust and stifled vehemence; swiftly would the Volturi ignite it at seeing their leader rendered unconscious. The fight couldn’t start, not now. So, at the same instance Aro’s eyelids fluttered, I touched his hand again, negating the effect with the contact. My power was a responsive, obedient entity, most willing to function as quick as I required it to—Aro regained consciousness without anyone ever realising he’d lost it.

Except Edward, of course, who was no doubt scouring my mind.

“Oh,” breathed Aro in his brittle tone. I had no idea if he was angry or baffled at what just happened. “An experience indeed. How about we try again?”

I didn’t miss the warning in his voice. So this time, when he took my hand with a little caution, I kept my power inactive. Aro read with wonder and interest. I intensely disliked the feel of him.

“Legend,” he finally said, keeping my hand. “The boy is of legend.”

“What is it?” asked Caius irritably. His voice oozed impatience, like he was itching for a fight.

“A long lost tale, brother! Past but never forgotten!”

“Aro,” said Caius.

“Patience, brother. For the line of reasoning we arrived to pursue is no longer required.”

Aro was still staring at me, but I was gazing at Jane. Venomous were the looks she were shooting me. Though Benjamin’s ability inhabited a large part of my gut, I wanted to try out her talent again. Sadistic as it was, it could also come in hand. But Jane wouldn’t even allow me to come that close to her; well, on the principle of keeping me breathing. If only I could project, or something similar that would allow me to extract abilities from afar. Or, better yet, augment. A majority of the Guard had wicked talents. True, most were also killer brawlers—I glanced at Felix—but how many relied on their secondary flairs? What would they do if I managed to inflict such a disadvantage?

At the thought, my stomach pulled inward, like I was about to hurl. I tried to relax the muscles down there, but they proved too firm.

“Renesmee,” I said, unease tinting vision.

She didn’t hear me; she was too engrossed in Aro’s rapture.

“What is he still doing living?” hissed Caius. “This breaching has gone on long enough.”

“His knowledge is forgivable,” gave Aro back warmly. “As is his mortal state.”

Audible ripples passed amid the Volturi, and Caius bared his teeth. “How is it you utter such a thing, Aro?”

“Because it is true,” said Aro smoothly, the perfect picture of calm. “And because the boy belongs to our world as much as we do. Perhaps you’d care to demonstrate, young Thomas?” Aro spoke to me like I was his favourite grandson.

I swallowed, still puzzled by the oddity occurring in my gut. Bella nudged me gently.

“What do you want me to do?” I asked him.

Aro smiled greedily. “Perhaps you might make use of Benjamin’s gift.”

We were still in our little break-off assemblage, and Edward began moving us rearwards as if a precautionary measure, like someone might get singed, though I knew he just wanted to put as much distance between the two forces.