The Fight

I felt nothing, absolutely nothing, as I stepped out the car with Jacob and Leah and into a small pathway composed of broken twigs and fallen leaves. You’d think there’d be fear, or maybe a little adrenaline. Remorse, regret, hesitation. Any little inkling of emotion to signify the momentous encounter I was so willingly heading towards. But no. That in itself should’ve scared me.

The clearing was just in my line of sight, but before we got there, Jacob put a hand on my arm. No sooner had I felt his warmth had he retracted it. “D’you have a plan?”

I shook my head then paused. “You should, uh, morph up and hide somewhere.”

He rolled his eyes at my choice of words, gave Leah an encouraging look, then burst into a sprint that led him out of sight.

“Ready?” I asked Leah.

To be honest, she looked anything but. The richness that was her skin looked dry and drained of colour and her hands were shaking uncontrollably. Carl really did frighten her, or at least the idea of him. I prayed she’d get over it. Quick.

 “Listen, Leah,” I began hurriedly. “You need to get over there—right there—okay?” I was pointing at the other side of the clearing.

“Why does it sound like—wait, where are you going?”

“Don’t worry, I’ll be close by. Just occupy Carl until I give a signal.”

“What if I don’t see it?” she vexed. I really was doubting her stability. Would she be able to handle Carl?

“Believe me,” I said grimly, “you’ll see it. Now go.”

Leah shot me a contorted look before sprinting to the clearing’s far north. When she was stood there, I gave her a thumbs up before running into the overgrown greenery behind me, taking valued obscurity in the jade depths.

“Carl!” called Leah loudly.

The rustling of crunching leaves and wind rung. I pushed aside a bunch of leaves and looked. Carl was now stood exactly opposite to where Leah was positioned, just a small distance ahead of me—Leah herself was still at the far south of the clearing, in front of a particularly large fathering of wild bushes and plants. Was Jacob hidden in that? Hopefully.

“Leah,” said Carl, in a loud, almost cheerful, tone. “What a surprise.”

“How do I know you’re lying?” Leah called back.

Carl laughed. “You always knew how to read me.”

“Don’t speak to me like that,” Leah hissed. She was clenching her fists and seemed a lot firmer. Go girl, I mentally enthused.

“Like what?” crooned Carl.

“Like I’m yours. Like you’re mine.”

“Oh, but isn’t that the case? You still are, you know. So am I.” Carl raised his eyebrows with the words, and put his hands behind his back. Was he toying with her?

“When hell freezes over,” hissed Leah.

“Don’t act like that, baby.”

“Don’t call me THAT!” she yelled back. She was starting to quiver. “I don’t love you. I—I never did.”

Carl abruptly snarled, and just as quickly regained his composure. “Then why’d you call me?”

“So I could ask why you’re still here. You should be dead.”

“So everyone keeps saying,” mused Carl. “And yet here I am.”

“Not for long,” gave Leah.