Over Protective.

Contrary to my thoughts, I found myself not seeing Renesmee until the end of the school day. I had been far too busy with all my new classes; I either made a complete spectacle of myself by answering a question with some stupid answer, or when my new classmates first took in my dirty appearance, they started whispering to each other, words like ‘loser’ and ’weirdo’ easy to distinguish.

I just came out of my last period, Gym, which seemed to be the most bearable out of my schedule. I was fairly okay at dodge ball, and my surrounding peers had been far too occupied with trying not to get hit with the hard ball  then to make fun of me.

I saw Renesmee just as I exited the school building. There were a flock of girls chatting eagerly to her, and she responded to them with polite smiles. Even though I had been preoccupied, I did notice that people were taking to this beautiful girl like moths to a flame. The girls dispersed a short while after, presumably heading home, and Renesmee lingered a beat, letting me fall into pace with her.

“Hi Tom.”

Her smile seemed a little more genuine.

“How’s the day been?”

“Crap. I practically suck at everything.”

A little part of me was surprised that I was being truthful, but another part of me was eager to divulge to Renesmee, overshadowing its prior.

“I bet that’s not true. You were pretty good at dodge ball.”

“That’s because it doesn’t involve me having to use my brain cells, however limited they may be.”

Renesmee actually laughed a tinkle of pearl delight......Which reminded me. 

....“Were you in the forest?”

The question spontaneously came out.

“I mean, this morning.” I peered at her dark hair, inspecting it for a moment.

“I know I only saw a back, but it looked like your hair.”

An impassive look washed throughout her features.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

I raised an index finger. “It really was you, wasn’t it?”

Renesmee stopped and I stopped right with her. We were right next to the school’s small parking area.

“I haven’t a clue what you’re on about. You must’ve mistaken someone else for me.”

The lines seemed believable......like the convincing lines of an actor.

“I’ve got to go.” She turned, heading away. Unconscious reactions leapt out, and I found myself grabbing her arm.

“Are you sure it wasn’t you?” She met my eyes for a moment, brown on blue, and opened her mouth before a hot palm pressed to the back of my hand.

“Get of her.” And then I looked up into a dark pair of eyes.

The guy pushed my hand away from Renesmee and put his index finger on my chest, shoving me back with surprising force.

“Do not touch her again....”

“Jacob!” Renesmee found her voice and nudged Jacob away from me. It was a wonder she could do so; he was tall and looked well built under his tight dark t-shirt. He also had deep tanned skinned which sets into his frame. From La Push, I guessed, knowing about the small Indian reservation on the edge of the coast. The dark fire in his eyes dimmed when he looked at Renesmee.

“But...”

She shook her head at him. “You said you’d wait in the car.”

He frowned at her words but eventually nodded. “I’m sorry.”

She gave him a stern look. “I’m not the one you should be apologising to.”

Jacob turned to me, clearly reluctant. “I apologise for my actions.”

The apology may have sounded sincere from an outside perspective, but I could see the threat in his eyes. He turned away, heading back to an unseen car.

“I’m sorry for that.” Renesmee smiled at me.

I simply kept quiet, a tad scared.

“I’ll see you tomorrow.” And with the promise, Renesmee walked after Jacob, shooting me a wave from her shoulder.

My mouth dropped open a little when I saw the car Renesmee, along with Jacob, had gotten into. A sleek Volvo XC60, which gleamed money. It was a rich black in colour. And even though I was impressed, it didn’t stop me from catching the look Jacob directed at me right before he drove off.......’stay away’