Kind Doctor Carlisle

The voice was smooth and ran like silk. I turned around to see a young and extremely blond man, who had devastatingly handsome features. Though he was pale and tired-looking, I could see the pride he owned over the long, doctor’s jacket he wore.

“Hello Thomas.” He greeted, polite as ever.

I nodded, familiar with Doctor Cullen. Not that we were on close terms or anything, but I once sprained my ankle and was taken under his care. His compassionate demeanour was easy to remember.

“Your mother has a fractured hip.” He saw my worried look and gave me a reassuring smile.

“You shouldn’t fret. She’ll be fine. But she will need surgery.”

He turned serious.

“I’ll need to make one or two incisions over the broken bone in her hip, so that I can move the bone back into the right position.”

I just nodded, the words a pile of medical garble. But I did get that this would help her. “

So what are you waiting for? Give her the surgery.”

He shook his head. “It’s not that simple, Thomas. I’ll need her permission and.....”

“Do it.”

Startled by my mother’s voice, I turned around to face her. She had woken up, and apart from looking mildly groggy, she appeared happy to see me. I rushed to her side, pressing her head to my chest.

“What were you doing on a stepladder?” I asked in a quiet whisper, feeling rather then hearing her smothered laugh. I let go of her.

“I was decorating for your first day of high school. How’d it go?”

I rolled my eyes. “I don’t think this is the time for a chat, ma’”

She gave me a furtive look that said we would discuss this later, no matter how injured she was.

“I want the operation, Doctor. Where should I sign?” Doctor Cullen smiled at mom, and even though she looked determined, I could see her flutter of feeling over this Adonis of a man.

“Of course, Miss Curbs. Chief Swan, can I talk to you for a moment?”

The chief nodded and followed the doctor out.

There was a plastic chair beside my mom’s bed and I dragged it closer before taking a seat.

“How was your first day, then?” I shrugged.

“It was....okay.”  There must’ve be something off about my response because mom shook her head.

“I know you’re lying. Tell me what happened.”

 I sighed. “To tell the truth, ma, it was......”

Her eyes were wide, eager. With painful realization, I knew that I could not tell her about how awful it was. All she wanted me to do was belong.

“It was bearable.”

I sounded convincing. “Actually, I kinda liked it.”

Glad that she took the bait, I was relieved when my mom smiled “You see? What did I tell you? A few nice clothes and......”

She trailed off in horror as her eyes travelled downwards, taking in my mud-stained appearance. I cringed inwardly.

“About that...”

Iwas saved having to explain as Doctor Cullen returned. By the way Chief Swan lingered back and kept giving me suggestive looks, I could tell that he wanted to speak to me.