The Social Worker

I jolted out of unconsciousness and found myself blinking groggily up at someone. I was sitting beside my mother, who was fast asleep, and it looked like there was someone standing beside me. After a few more blinks, I took in the sight of a short, black haired and spectacled woman who I realized must have nudged me awake. She was wearing a cardigan and comfy sweats, whilst her hair was up in a scrunchie.

She kinda looks like a librarian.

“Thomas?” She confirmed in a low voice.

Nodding, I repressed a yawn. “Yeah.”

“I’m Elisabeth, the social worker.”

Oh. Chief Swan had told me that she would be coming soon. She outstretched her hand and I took it.

It was warm.

Or was I cold?

“How’s your mother.” She gestured with her head to my slumbering mom.

“Good.”

“Do you know when she’ll go into surgery?”

“Tomorrow.”

“And what about you?”

I shrugged. “What about me?”

“How’re you holding up?”

“I’m not the one with the broken hip.”

I didn’t mean to sound hostile, so instead I leaned back in my chair. There was an awkward silence as Elisabeth stood there, waiting, whilst I pretended she wasn’t there at all. Finally, it was Dr. Cullen who managed to get me to leave. He entered the room, still looking impossibly good-looking, and I would’ve laughed at Elisabeth’s reaction if not for the current situation.

“Hello there, Elisabeth. Thomas.” The blond doctor turned to me and raised an eyebrow.

“Go.” He said simply. “Your mother will be fine here, Thomas. You should go and get some sleep.”

I didn’t answer for a moment, instead gazing back at his eyes. My own widened when I noticed a change. The gold from his irises had now dulled, looking more like a diluted bronze.

Whoa. Is that even possible?

As if guessing my train of thoughts, he turned around to face Elisabeth. A red blush crept up her skin as he smiled at her.

“Thank you for coming, Elisabeth. Miss Curbs will only be here for a week or so.”

Elisabeth took her time nodding. I repressed an eye roll.

“Goodnight, Thomas.” The words were an obvious dismissal.

Sighing, I got to my feet.

“Fine. But tell mom when she wakes up that I’ll be here first thing in the morning.”

Doctor Cullen smiled and shook his head.“What about school?”

“Oh yeah. I guess I’ll be here first thing after school.”

“I’ll be sure to pass on the message.”

I turned to Elisabeth with resignation. She nodded once and began to walk out of the unit—eyes lingering on Doctor Cullen—almost hesitantly. I followed a few steps back.

“And Tom.”

I turned back to face the solicitous blond just before I left.

“Try and get some sleep.”

“...Sure, thing Doc..”