And It Begins

His laugh only served as a confirmation.

“You, Tommy Curbs, are stronger then I anticipated.”

Alice tensed from my side. I put a hand on her back, as if I was the physically stronger being capable of protecting her from the unquestionably dangerous figure before us.

“Flattery will get you nowhere in life.” I replied back in a voice firmer then I would’ve expected.

Carl laughed again. “And you’re funny.”

“What exactly is it you want?” I said.

“Oh, the answer to that is simple. You.”

Alice made a hissing sound from the back of her throat. Carl’s eyes flicked over towards her and hardened. For some reason, his attention on her scared the daylights out of me, probably because I knew that in a fight, he would annihilate her. Partly because of his obvious withstanding strength. The most part because........

“Me? I’m sure that, under your influence, there are people who’d be more then willing to volunteer, Carl.” By the widen of his eyes, he knew I was aware of his ability.

“You’re much more intuitive then I’ve given you credit for, Tommy.”

“The name’s Thomas.”

“I’ll call you whatever I want.” Carl was obviously possessive, territorial, as if I was somehow his. That pissed me off.

“No, you won’t. Now are you going to do something or can we leave?” I said bravely. Bravery my body sure as hell didn’t possess.

Carl laughed, but it was different. Short and abrasive. Then he muttered something my human ears couldn’t catch—I made a mental note to ask Alice when we weren’t so, uh, preoccupied—and Carl attacked.

He was fast, I’ll give him that. Alice barely had time to knock me out of the way—I hit the side of Elisabeth’s office’s wall with a painful brutality—before Carl had charged her to the ground. When they were both on their feet, sparring with a speed my eyes couldn’t keep track of, I noticed the massive dent their bodies had made on the floor.

Carl tried to get his hands, arms, legs, any limb he could around Alice, but, fortunately, she was fast enough to evade. Unfortunately, she was only fast enough to evade—she didn’t have time to return any of his attacks. I knew Carl was trying to get to me, but by the looks of it, Alice tried her darnest to block me from him, which in return angered him and only put her in more danger.

I knew I had to rush to her aid, to stop it, but the possibility of me actually helping her was low, as opposed to me getting hurt, something Alice was trying to stop.

“I will tear you limb by limb!” Carl managed to snarl.

Alice couldn’t manage any words. Panic coursed through me, strong and domineering, until that internal throb began aching again. I tried to block it out and think of a way to possibly help Alice, but it became more insistent, until I found myself recalling something Eleazer had mentioned.

 “A feeder has the power to absorb this energy.”

It’s a good thing I worked under pressure, because pieces of long-forgotten hunches began forming an utilizable plan, something my sixth-sensory only helped to add to.

Carl had managed to pin Alice to the ground and was dangerously close to obliterating her—though she was trying with all her vampire might to rid herself of him—when I screamed “CARL!”

Without looking at me, he muttered through clenched teeth, “one minute, Tommy.”

“Let her go! I’ll...I’ll come with you! I’ll do whatever you want, just let her go!”