Everything Clicks

Hey guys! Thanks for reading an hanging on! I'm back, and thank you if you were one of the ones who held on! Without further ado, here's the next chapter.....

“OH MY GOD!” I screamed, jumping back. The wolf stood on its hind legs and gave me a terrifying snarl. Yelping, I leaped even further away.

“JACOB!” Renesmee screeched

Edward, who had also taken a step back upon Jacob’s transformation, put his arms around Jacob’s torso and dragged him away. But it looked like Jacob wasn’t going to go down without a fight, because he thrashed and snarled, baring his teeth in my direction. By now my heart had been pumping so fast that I was afraid it was going to escape the confines of my chest.

After a few more moments, Bella joined Edward in containing Jacob, and together they managed to tear him away and into the limits of the forest.

“WHAT JUST HAPPENED?” I yelled, turning to face Renesmee. She was eying me warily, as if I might suddenly take out a knife and slit my throat. “Did he just....” I trailed off suggestively.

“Thomas...” Renesmee began in a calming voice, reaching over.

I shook my head and dodged her touch. “No, Renesmee. Don’t Thomas me! I know there’s something going on here!”

True, I did have my suspicions, suspicions that began first arousing as soon as I was assigned Renesmee as a desk partner. Then meeting Alice Cullen, Jacob, coming over to the house, Bella and Edward, the growling........I knew that something here definitely wasn’t right.

And now, as if to trump everything, I had just seen Jacob Black turn into a wolf.

Instead of looking at me, Renesmee turned to Esme, who was standing at the doorway. “We should wait for Carlisle.” She said.

Renesmee shook her head. “I don’t think we have that much time.” Renesmee unleashed the full force of her cinnamon eyes on me before speaking. “Thomas, if I am to explain to you, you have to promise you’ll keep an open mind. I’m not saying to believe me straight away, but you should know that everything I’m going to say is the truth.”

I took my time before nodding. “Sure....I’ll believe you.”

Renesmee gave a small, humourless smile. “Don’t make promises you can’t keep.” She led me to one of the cream sofas and sat me down, before taking in a deep breath.

“Here goes nothing.” She muttered.

And from there and on she shared the story of the Cullens. How they were vampires, immortal beings that fed of blood to survive. She told me that they were a different kind of vampire, that they didn’t feed off human blood, but instead on animals to survive. She said the clan started off with Carlisle, who had eventually led himself to create a companion out of loneliness. This all ultimately led to the strong Cullen clan—who were a rarity due to the fact that most vampires travelled in packs of two or three.

“Vampires?” I repeated, voice deadly quiet. “You’re telling me you’re vampires?”

She nodded slowly.

“....What about Jacob? Is he a vampire too?”

“Of course not. Jacob’s a werewolf.” Renesmee said truthfully.

I looked at her for a moment before putting my head in my hands. “You’re crazy.” I muttered through my hands, but the scary part was that a part of me deep down knew she was speaking nothing but truth.

“I need to go.” I said rather abruptly, getting to my feet.

“Thomas...” Renesmee pleaded.