Renesmee Walks Me To School

Please, keep reading. ;D

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Turns out Elisabeth wanted to enquire. I found her door soon enough, just as bright as Duke said, and when I entered, I was almost surprised at how normal it looked. Like any regular office. I suppose it was slightly messy, but in comparison to the other parts of the group home, it looked immaculate. Elisabeth was sat at a desk chair, and gestured for me to sit as well.

“How’re things going?” She asked, leaning forward to peer at me through her spectacles.

 I leaned back in my chair and shrugged. “Okay.”

“You’ve met the other kids?”

I nodded. “Yeah. They’re all right, I suppose.”

“I just wanted to see how you were doing. Also, remember to come here first before you head to the hospital after school.” At my expression, she hastily added, “you’ll need to go with an adult.”

I contemplated arguing, but knew it would get me nowhere, so instead, I crossed my ankles and agreed. “Fine.” It looked like Elisabeth wanted to say something when the doorbell rang. The melody it played sounded too cheerful by my ears. Somebody presumably opened it, and before I knew it, Duke was sticking his head through the door. And he was looking at me.

“You have a visitor.” He said in a conspicuous whisper. I furrowed my eyebrows whilst Elisabeth asked, “who?”

“Doctor Cullen’s daughter.”

And suddenly I was interested.

“What?”

True, Doctor Cullen did look way too young to have children, so I knew the six children he had had to be adopted.

“Which one?”

“The youngest one...Renesmee I think her name is?”

Unexpectedly, a warm breeze of some warm emotion picked up in my blood.

“What does she want?” Duke shrugged and pointed to me.

“Him.”

After exchanging a look with Elisabeth, she shrugged. “It’s nearly time for school, anyway. You can go.”  It’s not that I needed the dismissal or anything, but I still nodded and hurried out the room.

Renesmee stood a few feet away from the door, and as I hungrily drunk her in, I almost grinned in drunken delight at just how beautiful she was. She hadn’t changed from yesterday.

She smiled and waved when she saw me, gesturing me over.

“Hey.” I greeted.

“Good morning, Thomas. I was wondering if you’d like me to walk you to school?”

I blinked a couple of times before I responded. “What? And how did you know I was here?”

And as soon as I saw that flash of sympathy in her eyes, I knew.

“Doctor Cullen told you!” The realization made me furious. “Hasn’t he heard of doctor-patient confidentiality?” I screeched.

Renesmee took a step back. “No, he didn’t tell me. I promise.”

“So how’d you know?”

I wasn’t even angry at Doctor Cullen for telling; more at the fact that Renesmee knew just how poor I was.

“There’s no need to be angry, Thomas. I thought that I could help out by offering you a lift.”

She pointed to that sleek cars of hers, which was parked across the street. My anger fled as I remembered Jacob.