Bella's Idea

(Hey Guys, this is third person, as you probably guessed. Most of it is first person, but some chapters aren't! Anyway, thanks for reading)

Just after spotting the dark haired Thomas, Alice Cullen drove away in her Mercedes, foot pressed onto the pedal until she was at the driveway of her brilliant white mansion. She could hear her family inside and knew that Carlisle would be home soon, even though his shift had finished an hour ago—for some reason, he had gained a dangerous bond to that boy’s mother. But it didn’t matter, because she had already shared with him what she wanted to share with the others.

Darting out of the car, she walked into the house, unable to return the smile Esme proffered her from behind the kitchen counter. Jasper, Edward and Jacob were out hunting, but Bella and Rosalie were sat on the sofa, talking to each other in quiet voices. Alice could hear Emmet outside playing with Renesmee, their laughs audible from here.

“Guys.” Alice called, voice firm. At hearing her voice, everybody turned into action. At once, they were all sat on the sofa, peering and attentive.

“I had a vision yesterday.” She started.

Bella frowned a little. “Of what?”

Almost reluctantly, Alice told them of the permission, flinching when she remembered the newborn’s brutality, flinching when she remembered the blood shed.... but of course, her throat also burned at the thought of the blood.

Everybody, except Emmet of course, looked horrified when she finished. “Poor people.” Renesmee whispered. Bella put an arm around her daughter’s shoulder.

“But how could that happen?” Esme asked, frowning. “I thought the wolves’ shifts were going to prevent that.”

True, Sam Uley, the alpha of one of the La Push werewolf packs, had sent two wolves patrolling the forest all day and all night, but apparently, it looked like it was going to have no effect in the end. Human lives would still be lost.

“We’re going to have to get more people to patrol, vampires this time.” Rosalie grumbled. “Never give a werewolf a vampire’s job.”

“I volunteer.” Emmet raised his hand with a grin.

“That’s not it, you guys.” Alice regarded them all as one, almost definite of what she was about to say. “The boy in the vision, trying to plead with the newborn....I think I know who he is.” Alice faced Renesmee. “Actually, I’m sure you know who he is as well, Nessie, more so then me.”

Renesmee frowned. “Who?”

Alice took a deep breath. “Thomas Curbs, I think his name is. He’s in your class, right?”

The colour drained from Renesmee’s face at her aunt’s words. The familiar picture of his dark haired profile flickered to life in her thoughts, where they had been recently. “W-What?” She stammered.

Bella was looking at her daughter in obvious concern. “Is he in your class, honey?” She asked Renesmee softly.

Renesmee managed to nod. “A-Are you sure it was him, Alice?”

Alice said yes. “Even though I didn’t get a good look at the newborn, I did see his face. Plus, I also saw him at the hospital when I went to talk to Carlisle. It was defenitely him.”

Esme also looked horrified. Although her encounter with the boy had been brief—she did only drive him to school on one occasion— she still hated the thoughts that were running through her mind. Though she wasn’t as compassionate as her husband, she was close. “We have to make sure that doesn’t happen.” She said resolutely.

“Definitely.” Renesmee whispered. “Nothing can happen to him.”

“I’ll talk to Jacob.” Bella said. “He’ll tell Sam and we’ll make sure this doesn’t happen.” She looked down at Renesmee, kissing the side of her head. “I promise.”

“What did Carlisle say?” Esme asked.

“He said there was someway we needed to keep an eye on the boy without him noticing what we were doing.” Alice recalled.

“How would we do that?” Emmet said.

“I don’t know.”

“A job.” Renesmee whispered. Her voice was still too shocked for her regular volume, but these were vampires after all. They could definitely here her.

“What?”

“A job. He said he needed a job....I overheard him.”

“I guess we could offer him some work.” Bella said.

“Like what?” Rosalie looked unsure of the idea of a human in the house. The last person to do that was Bella, and look how she turned out. Into a vampire. But of course, that was for different reasons. Rosalie looked at Renesmee. Judging by the beautiful hybrid’s worry, it looked like that possibility wasn’t completely off.

“The garden.” Esme started. “The flowers in the back porch have started to grow and a lot of weeds have come as well. Maybe he could clean those up for us.”

“A gardener?” Rosalie scowled. “Would he take that?”

Renesmee, remembering Thomas’s destitute and shabby clothes, nodded. “Yes, he would. Thomas isn’t the most fortunate of people.”

“So how would we offer it? Would Renesmee ask him in school?” Bella asked.

Renesmee immediately declined. “No. Thomas is kind of....stubborn. We have to make sure he doesn’t know the job’s specifically for him. But don’t worry. I’ve got it.”

“I still think my idea was better.” Emmet groused.

“Please, Emmet.” Bella told him, smiling.

“So, we’ve got it sort?” Esme asked.

Alice nodded. Although she didn’t know the boy—Thomas Curbs—she knew she didn’t want him hurt. But, with her powerful family and the aid of the strong wolves, she’d hopefully be able to prevent that.