A Long Awaited Sentence

Heading out into the cold night air helped distract me from the painful strain. I knew where we were as soon as I saw the narrow, crumbling road.

I had just left Hail ltd. Warehouse, a space long abandoned that some of my classmates liked sneaking into. The thought of the five vampires still in there spurred me on until a rusty Toyota Celica (they still make those?) almost ran me over.

The driver—an old woman who I was concerned as to if she could even see the road—got out and began stammering an apology.

“Oh my goodness, I didn’t see you! I’m so sorry!”

I shook my head, still wincing from the pain. “It’s okay. Could you give me a ride?”

She nodded eagerly. “Of course I can, dear. Where to?”

“Forks Group Home.”

Thankfully, she assured me she knew where this was. I got into the passenger seat of her car—the inflexible leather from beneath me itched—and, though I wasn’t one to talk (not legal, hello) I began to wonder if I should be the one driving.

She drove slow, so slow that with every inch per second she made, I groaned loudly, both from the pain and the frustration. “What’s your name?” I managed to ask.

“Franny” She responded just as tightly, as if she was using most of her effort driving.

“I have to be somewhere fast. Do you think you could hurry?” 

She turned to me, slightly doubtful. “But dear, the limit is...-”

“I know, I know, but it’s a life and death situation. Please, Franny.” I think it was the use of her name in my crackly voice that made her nod resolvedly.

Now, I’m not trying to complain or anything—I mean, I had been the one who had insisted—but when Franny drove fast.....she drove fast.

The outside blurred on either sides of us. When I was sure we were an adequate distance away from Carl, Jane and the others, I let go of the pain I had been clinging on to, breathed in the air as if I hadn’t been able to do so before, and only hoped I would make it before the others caught up to us. I was more then sure they would be angry—positively murderous at that.

Whilst Franny drove with an urgency I began to revere, I closed my eyes and sent Alice a mental message I knew she would receive. ‘Hold on.’

After no less then fifteen minutes, we arrived. I thanked Franny with a kiss on the cheek to which she shooed away and wished me luck before darting into the group home.

I assumed that everyone had been asleep or too occupied when I had been here last, but now, everyone—Dolly, in her pyjamas, Kyle and Kylie, Amber, Duke and, most of all, Alex—were gathered behind the very office door Carl at least had the decency to lock.

“Thomas?” Duke said. “What’s going on....?”

I only shook my head before making an arc motion in the air. Using the energy I had absorbed from when I had punched Carl, I made sure all their eyes were glazed over before effectively commanding “you will forget everything you’ve just seen. If you were confused, you won’t be anymore. If you were curious, you won’t be anymore. Treat me as if I never existed. Go to your rooms and sleep. Don’t wake until morning.”

Thankfully, I had figured Carl’s power enough to use it successfully. Like zombies, they all trudged up the stairs and out of sight.

I looked down at my palm and muttered “So oily yet so powerful.”

Alice was exactly where I had left her, but as soon as my eyes rested on her unconscious figure, I blanched. Something had gone horribly wrong.

Giving pale a whole new definition, Alice Cullen’s whole body had gone unnaturally still—even for a vampire. I rushed over to her and put a hand to her forehead, lessening what I had put over her earlier.